PSA Level 4.9

nycdad

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 03:57 pm
I have a PSA level of 4.9. I am 56 years old. I also found out that if my psa continues to rise that it could be cancer-related. Honestly, the prostate biopsy is not anything I would quickly run to. It is a painful, invasibe procedure. Patients are typically not put to sleep during this procedure at the VA Hospital.

Questions:

1. Is a psa of 4.9 something to worry about at age 56 if the prostate does not continue to grow?

2. If the VA Hospital is not willing to put me to sleep during a future prostate biopsy, should I go to a private neurologist and pay for complete anesthesia?

3. Have you personally been through anything like this? Anyone you know?

4. I am really afraid of the biopsy procedure considering that the doctor must enter through my anus. The anus is a very sensitive area of the body. You say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 672 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 04:22 pm
@nycdad,
My husband is prone to polyps in his colon and they go thru his anus to see and remove them. He has never been anaesthesized during this procedure, never complained of any pain or discomfort, and last time he even watched. So much for the anus-related bit.

As far as the prostrate, he goes regularly for exams.

Re your other questions, check out WebMD or some such as no medical advice can be given on this site.

Sorry for your worries.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 03:59 am
I’ve had a camera shoved up there.

I won’t be taking the piss out of Japanese tourists again I can tell you.

Seriously, I was given a sedative, but no anaesthetic, there is TV screen so you can see what is going on up your bum. It wasn’t pleasant, but not painful.

The worst bit was the days leading up. I was given a list of foods I could and could not eat with a supply of powerful laxatives. The day before I couldn’t eat anything and spent considerable time on the toilet. The laxatives dehydrated me and I had a terrible headache similar to a hangover.

And my ringpiece was pretty sore too.

I was allowed to drink water and take paracetamol though.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:28 am
@izzythepush,
My PSA has risen constantly from the age of 50 onward, since a couple of more slowly, now sometimes quite a lot above 5, a few times a bit less.

The biopsy isn't a pleasure, but certainly not painful ... with a sedative, like izzy got. And I had to follow a list for taking medicaments, not eating what etc, too. Plus, I also enjoyed the "tv program" during the procedure (which lasted about 5 mins in my urologist's practise).

Generally speaking: the level of the PSA value is not decisive, but whether it rises suddenly and rapidly. (I have also had my PSA checked every three months for years).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 07:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
My PSA has risen constantly from the age of 50 onward, since a couple of more slowly, now sometimes quite a lot above 5, a few times a bit less.
Should read: "since a couple of years more slowly".
Which is actually literally just a couple, namely a bit more than two years - the biopsy was done around that time.

My urologist retired a year ago (and unfortunately died a month ago).
His successor does not want to do another biopsy now. At the appointment next week we will talk about how to proceed - result open in every direction.
0 Replies