The partisan politics of Voting Rights

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 02:18 pm
A Question: Is there an example of Democrats supporting voting rights that don't directly benefit them (i.e. help Democrats get elected)?

This is clearly a partisan issue (it is being argued on strictly partisan lines). I am wondering if there is any example of one party or the other showing any sign of integrity; taking a position on principle rather than on whether it benefits them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 224 • Replies: 2
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 02:58 pm
To directly answer your question: I am not aware of any such examples, on either side of the aisle.

Slightly off topic: I've also heard on the news (and yes, I still get my news from PBS) that the Democrats really don't have the votes to pass this voting rights thing in the Senate. They are getting near fifty Democratic votes because they know that the Republicans are going to block it. But if there were any real danger of it passing, at least ten Democratic senators would be voting against it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 09:06 pm
@maxdancona,
I wish they would separate the issues.

I don't think voter ids are a big deal either way. There is little evidence of fraud. There is little evidence that this suppresses the vote in a significant way. This should be used to find a compromise.

I think measures that specifically make it harder for certain constituencies to vote, such as moving polling places from minority communities is a much bigger issue.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The partisan politics of Voting Rights
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:44:10