Lamb Shanks - partially done sous vide- help please

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2021 09:02 am
Hello,
Looking for some cooking advice. Here’s the story- I cooked 4 lamb shanks sous vide but had to cut it short. They got about 10 hours at 137F then I cooled and froze them for traveling. I can’t finish them sous vide so I’m stuck with traditional to finish them. I plan to sear the outside while frozen followed by either a wet braise in the oven or a dry braise.

For the most tender - what is your advice on time? I think the lowest I can cook at will be 170F. How long would be sufficient?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 617 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2021 09:26 am
@BoldSquirrel,
Here's the recipe I always use - in fact, made it a few days ago with a shoulder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KnBJGvgcxs
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 02:20 pm
@Mame,
lamb shanks are verlavorful (remove all traces of fell or silver tendon up front.
Salt them lightly and let em age in the fridge in a PAPER bag for a few days.

Brown the shanks on prep day about 5-6 min I usually just very lightly dust em with a garlic powder in flour mix

Instead of sous vide, Id then braise them in a cuppa stock per shank simmer to reduce that till there's a brown beginning of a sauce

stir fry some onion, a drier rose or even a muscado (Itll just add a wee sweetness.

Add a 2T tomato paste in a cuppa the uncooked stock, add smashed garlic a teen 1/4 t of turmeric. and let this all cook together maybe a 0.75 hr in a 275 /300 F preheated oven, bring back to stove top and add a bit more wine to taste to adjust the sauce.Add T mustard (we like a rough grind fruity based mustard and about 0.25 c fresh rosmary sprigs )No stems please).

serve next to a brown rice or a risi bisi with no bacon.

We always serve with toast tips for "soppin"

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS- dont by lamb where the bone x section is beyond oval (No flat x sec leg bones as these are getting on to MUTTON and the tallowy taste will come of like GOAT/

any lambs we raise for our freezer is always under 100 pounds. markets pay for up to 150 for "lamb: and thats a crime.
e emjoy the ribs shanks, legs and hams Other stuff gets ground or cubed for Greek or Moroccan stuff.

You done really get a lotta meat with a southdown lamb (Southdowns are the BEST) tender, buttery flavor. very little fell

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lamb Shanks - partially done sous vide- help please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:57:04