Gas Lighting or Crazy?

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 03:52 pm
I am at the very, very ends of what's left of my sanity. And I'm not entirely sure if it's because I am suffering from some undiagnosed behavioral mental issue or being gas lit. (To clarify, to gas light someone is to intentionally set someone up to believe that they are going crazy.)

I am actually truly unable to tell the difference right now. I would talk to a therapist but I can't afford it. What other options do I have? I can't just walk away from the situation. I have tried. More than once.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 570 • Replies: 10

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 04:22 pm
@whatthefaeryn,
If you suspect you are being gaslighted ( manipulated, pressured, etc) then you probably are.

Isn’t there anyone in your life that you can talk to? Friend, relative, religious leader,?
whatthefaeryn

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 04:45 pm
@PUNKEY,
The person doing the suspected gas lighting is the source of the few "friendships" I have. They have loyalty to him, if I were to talk to any of of about it, it would get back to him immediately and not benefit me in anyway. Anyone else, like family members don't know I'm around this person anymore, they don't care for this person, to put it gently. In fairness they have never understood our dynamic in the first place, but they do have valid reasons for their dislike.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 05:48 am
Is this person an adult? Do they have authority over you?

Or is this happening within a social circle of friends?
0 Replies

deemoofy

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 06:20 am
Ive also lived with gaslighting for such a long time, that i too rarely have any idea wth is going on. Likewise, I'm guessing you also feel bad and guilty for your question (even though it's quite justified) and though most will offer reasonable, sensible and concerned answers, they will still leave you scratching your head and wanting someone to just tell you if you've finally lost it or what. I find when asking cyberspace to assure me whether what I'm feeling is valid, or whether I'm sane or not is a pretty good sign that my subconciounious is crying out in protest to the constant confusion im enduring. This is truly one of the most insidious forms of abuse (gaslighting) and I think questions like yours are a fairly good indication that sh*t has really gotten serious now...that sh*t has really hit the fan now. You asked a difficult question, so acknowledge that, and take comfort that your real self is fighting for you...It knows this is bullsh*t treatment and regardless of how many times you or your gaslighter tells (your voice) to be quiet, it wont. Listen to YOURS and interrupt theirs (that negative voice that has become so familiar (and you're pretty sure is now your own (its just them). This voice that sounds something like "oh hush...move on...big deal...be grateful..what a dumb question...how weak...come on...why cant you just ____" or whatever etc etc. I bet you'd be hard pressed to remember a time in your life where you ever spoke that harshly to yourself, ever, no matter what. I bet you cant recall a time...
(Important: do whatever you can to stifle that voice. It's simply not true).
Anyway, after an extended bout of gaslighting, it is fairly normal to question your very own sanity and even more so, when it begins to bleed into other life aspects; friendships, work, even mundane encounters. I believe that is exactly what the goal of your gaslighter is. You already know that, so take comfort in that aspect; you're already a step ahead essentially...you are already aware, and always have been, that something is extremely "off". (And listen, dont even try to understand why they do it either, you wont. Ever. Just forget that, okay? Forget it. I say this with love, forget it). This is about you and no matter what, they are never responsible for their actions. Ever.
Moving on...
From one victim of this insidious violence to the next, my best advice is to keep a log of these events. Keep it as simple or as complex as you'd like, (but I recommend simple format that you can adhere to). Much like a domestic violence log, when, why, where, who, etc how and how it made you feel. Again, dont try to make sense, just watch and record the cycle. It will start to become clear again. It will be less of a blur. You will remember now. This is for you, and though tempting to show them "see? I KNEW you were freaking insane" do not. If you'd like to print a copy of your log after you have left them and are far far away, then okay. But in the meantime, this is for you...your sanity. As your mind becomes calm again as the facts become the missing puzzle piece, you will see the truth and after, will be unable to be fooled again. You will begin trusting yourself again. And you will begin making other moves to heal. As you do this, they will sense it too, so be careful. In quiet and confidence shall be your strength. Again, just make it in a context that will be simple for you to record and not overthink (at this point you no longer even trust yourself). Does that make sense? Keep your logging up (keep it private, ie on your phone). To me, minus therapy (no this isnt your fault) and weary friends and family (no they also have no idea what's going on how to help either) this is the best method to prove to yourself to yourself--to reintroduce your exhausted and tricked mind to your mind again. We both know you certainly can't prove to anyone else what a psychopath you're dealing with (it is not for lack of trying). Also, I dont know how this site works, but you can write me too if you can or would like.
So I'm sorry for rambling and I only hope it helps you even slightly. Again, be safe and if not already, to answer your question: I believe if you've come to this point, no, you are def not (crazy). Stay strong. And log. As many times a day it takes, until you will start seeing what's really going on again. Your voice is the only voice that matters now.
Wishing you the very best of luck (you can do this). D
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 06:56 am
@whatthefaeryn,
The word "gaslighting" has no meaning. It is a weird reference to an old movie. If you don't say what it means, then it could literally mean anything.

How exactly is a person "intentionally setting you up" to believe you are going crazy? Are they literally playing with lights? Are they putting voices into your head? Are they accusing you of lying?

The term gaslighting is one of the latest internet fads. Everyone is accusing everyone of gaslighting for everything from hiding their internet passwords to denying an affair to disagreeing with them in an argument.

Without specifics, it is impossible to form an opinion.
deemoofy

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 07:58 am
@maxdancona,
According to wikipedia.org, "Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person ora group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment.[1] It may evoke changes in them such as cognitive dissonance or low self-esteem, rendering the victim additionally dependent on the gaslighter for emotional support and validation. Using denial, misdirection, contradiction and disinformation,[2] gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's beliefs."
Further, phsycology.com, medicalnewstoday.com, dictionary.apa.org, and many, many other respected websites, discuss "physcological gaslighting" as a completely relevant and commonly used term in psychology.
Your reference to the word gaslighting, was indeed derived from "the British play Gas Light (1938), performed as Angel Street in the United States, and its 1940 and 1944 film adaptations (both titled Gaslight). ... The term has now been used in clinical psychological literature, as well as in political commentary and philosophy." (Wikipedia.org)

I feel you could've spared the world and author of this post your personal (and clearly unsubstantiated) opinion. What purpose has it served? Does it serve you to kick those already down? What a shame.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 10:10 am
@deemoofy,
You haven't said anything that shows that "gaslighting" isn't a meaningless term. "Sowing seeds of doubt"... what does that mean. If I question the truth of what you are saying, aren't I "sowing seeds of doubt".

Can you disagree with a romantic partner without meeting this definition of "gaslighting"?

It is one of those terms that can literally mean anything you don't like.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 10:13 am
The real problem with the term is that it is too easy to accuse a romantic partner of "gaslighting"". It is a cop out. It is basically saying that you are no longer responsible for your part in what is happening in the relationship.

If your partner accuses you of gaslighting them because you aren't agreeing with them about something you do that annoys them... how do you respond to that accusation?
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 11:23 am
@maxdancona,
The real problem here is that you just want to argue and not help with the OP's issue.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 May, 2021 11:32 am
@neptuneblue,
See... Neptune is gaslighting me.

I don't know how we can help the OP. She hasn't said anything about what is going on ( other than a meaningless trigger word).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gas Lighting or Crazy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:05:18