Woman charged; allegedly giving birth while drunk

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 05:41 pm
Oklahoma woman charged with child neglect; allegedly giving birth while drunk

at 12:51 on July 15, 2005, EST.

BARTLESVILLE, Okla. (AP) - A woman who police say had been drinking heavily before she gave birth was charged with child neglect after the baby was born intoxicated and diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Melissa Tanner, 37, had a blood alcohol content of 0.29 per cent when she gave birth June 30, and her daughter's was 0.21 per cent, according to an affidavit by police. The legal limit for drivers in Oklahoma is 0.08 per cent.

Hospital staff had to use an oxygen bag to help the baby start breathing and gave her medication to counteract any narcotics, according to the affidavit.

Tanner allegedly told police she and another person had consumed a case of beer and that she regularly drank during her pregnancy.

She was jailed on $30,000 US bail. At a court appearance this week, Tanner was advised of her rights and ordered to return to court Aug. 5. She has not yet filed an application for an lawyer or entered a plea, the court clerk's office said.

Sheriff's investigator James Wynn said the baby has fetal alcohol syndrome and has been placed in a foster home with a caretaker experienced in dealing with addicted infants.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists the syndrome as the leading preventable cause of mental retardation and physical deformity. The severity of disability in this case won't be known until the baby is older.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 709 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 01:45 am
Can't we just take her out and shoot her?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
Hmm, might that be perceived as being "politically incorrect"? Laughing
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
Oh yes! Most definitely. But the drummer in my head last night was beating a different tune. That of non-conformist. I was marching along for a few blocks just to see how it felt. Quite liberating, actually.

Then the sun came up and my rational side had returned. I just hope the baby is ok and the mother get what she fully deserves.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
ahh.. Im still with the execution idea.
She has in a sense killed all that child COULD have been by her selfish drinking choices.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
You know shewolf, I DO like that much better than being politically correct. Screw that rational crap all to hell. Let's go ahead and shoot her after all. I'm really in that sort of mood today anyway..... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
Fetal alcohol syndrom? The baby will never be normal.

Shooting is not P.C. Unfortunately, neither is tying her tubes--or even mandating birth control shots.

This woman is fertile and dangerous.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
It sickens me to think, that this poor child will have
to suffer for the rest of its life due to the alcohol consume
of its mother. FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrom) is irreversable
and I hope the mother will suffer for the rest of her
life as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
The "mother" is thirty-seven years old, so youth and inexperience can't be blamed. All the same, I doubt that she moves in socially responsible circles.

I wonder whether this is her first FAS baby--or indeed, her first baby--and if not, where are the others.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Also, did she get prenatal care...

just wondering if it's possible to pick this up earlier than the date of birth, without having her come to the prenatal care facility drunk.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 05:57 pm
to my understanding , an ultrasound COULD, if specified, discover FAS before birth.
Obviously she didnt go for any treatment. Any doctor would have seen the signs of alcohol abuse.
The amount of regular blood tests would have given her away.

It takes ALOT of alcohol to effect a baby that way. If you averaged out the amount of alcohol it takes, plus the TIME it takes to damage a child. it would be something like 5 daily drinks. There is no way she was sober long enough to make an appointment i am willing to bet.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
It still just sickens me. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:46 pm
i say we shoot the waste of space who has now become a mother.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Woman charged; allegedly giving birth while drunk
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:28:36