What if George Floyd were White?

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 01:37 am
This was brought up in the other thread, but it is an interesting thought experiment. There is a problem with the political narrative. Everyone says "amen" but it doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

1. I don't believe that many police officers treat heroin addicts (White or Black) very well.
2. I am quite sure that other heroin addicts (including White people) have died in police custody.
3. It is highly unlikely for a police officer to be convicted no matter what the race of a person who dies in their custody.

My point is not to say that there isn't racial injustice. I certainly believe that we need to reform police policy, provide training and specifically target policies that hurt minorities.

However the simplistic ideological narrative that puts outrage over progress doesn't lead to anything good. Instead of a dialog, it leads to violence and division.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 324 • Replies: 11
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 01:52 am
@maxdancona,
If Floyd were White, there would be nothing different about the defense strategy. The defense attorney would still bring up the victims drug use and health condition and downplay the misconduct of the police officer.

I imagine the prosecution would be much the same as well. They would want to show the police conduct was inexcusable and the direct cause of death.

The case would be less prominent. It wouldn't be on TV and it may be less well funded. I don't see how the legal strategy of either side would change.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 10:29 am
The racist juror rhetoric is particularly dangerous and irresponsible.

It is ridiculous to claim that a juror would never vote to a acquit a cop who killed a white heroin addict who resisted arrest. With individual jurors it is impossible to read their minds. In a fair trial, it is up to the judgment of the jurors. You can't demand a verdict if it is a fair trial.

This rhetoric is setting up the real possibility of violence.
0 Replies

longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 12:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
What if George Floyd were White?

Great question, but nobody here will answer it honestly.

I'll try.

Nobody would've cared, because whites are not allowed to be victims. White men anyway.

And the family wouldn't have received millions of dollars.

Think about all the white people who have at times wished that they were black so that they could receive all the free goodies from society that the blacks get, and so that they would never be held accountable for their own actions.

Black grievance culture has resulted in people like Rachel Dolezal and Shaun King. If being black is so "hard", then why would white people pretend to be black?

If whiteness carries with it so much "privilege", then would Elizabeth Warrren pretend to be Indian?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 01:48 pm
@longjon,
You are completely missing the point. I am pushing back on an ideological narrative which when taken to extremes leads to absurd (and potentially dangerous conclusions). You are pushing an opposing narrative to an even greater extreme.

Saying that any juror who votes "not guilty" in the current trial is "racist" is an absurd statement. Saying that White people are no more privileged than Black people is even more absurd (in my opinion).

People on the left want me to make a binary choice; either I agree with them completely or I have to agree with you. I don't accept this choice. As far as policy and political values I am probably closer to them than to you.

It seems like you are here to make cheap political shots about your favorite liberal bogeypeople. I am not interested in playing that childish game.

When either political side says something that is absurd, irresponsible or dangerous, I am going to say so.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 01:57 pm
Whatever political side you are on... Derek Chauvin is getting justice. Justice is not the verdict. Justice is the trial.

Chauvin is being held accountable for his crimes in open court where he will be judged by a jury. The process is carefully designed to provide an fair trial based on the facts and the evidence. This process is not "perfect" (whatever perfect means). But it is fair in the sense that Chauvin has all the rights and risks of any other criminal defendant.

If you change the rules for Chauvin, you will necessarily change the rules for every other criminal defendant who, like Chauvin, has a right to defend himself in court.

In a fair trial you can not guarantee that the jury will return the verdict you want. Whether or not they do, the result is still justice.

Protesting a verdict is like protesting a lost election. It is futile and meaningless. Justice, like Democracy, doesn't favor your political ideology no matter how much you believe you are right,
longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 02:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are completely missing the point.

It seems like you are here to make cheap political shots about your favorite liberal bogeypeople.

What is your explanation for white people who want to black? Why would a white person want to be black if being black is so hard? And why do all these non-white people want to come to America if it's such a "racist" place?

Can you answer me that?

Quote:
Saying that White people are no more privileged than Black people is even more absurd (in my opinion).

If that's true, then why pose the question you did here? Obviously you believe that what's going on in Minneapolis would be radically different had George been white.

Do you think that if George had been white, that thugs would be waiting at the ready to loot, burn, murder, and riot if the jury doesn't reach they're preferred outcome? Is that something that whites do? Do whites have a culture that protects their trash?

In fact, short of extreme examples which exist in any group, does white identitarianism exist? Is there such a thing as "white culture"? I don't think you would say that there is. But does "black culture" exist? Do blacks look poorly upon other blacks who "speak white" (proper English instead of Ebonics)? Is Thugg/gangsta and THOT culture encouraged in the black community? Is single motherhood encouraged in the black community? Or are two parent households and moral responsibility encouraged?

If you think about those questions, can you be honest with yourself about the answers?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 02:23 pm
@maxdancona,
You were doing so well, and then you went and said:

"Chauvin is being held accountable for his crimes in open court..."

The trial isn't over. We don't know if he committed any crimes or not. Like every other case, the jurors should hear all the evidence from both sides and then decide what it means.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 02:24 pm
@longjon,
You are making a silly, somewhat extreme, ideological argument that has nothing to do with the point I am making with this thread.
longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
In other words, you refuse to acknowledge my points or answer my questions.

Because to do so honestly would require you to acknowledge objective truths that you don't want to.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 02:59 pm
@longjon,
My God you people are silly. I don't want to spam my own thread responding to your nonsense. I will tell you what. Start another thread... label it something absolute "Objective Truths".

Then I will answer any of your questions and basically kick your sorry illogical ass around for a bit. Maybe it will be fun.
longjon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2021 03:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
My God you people are silly. I don't want to spam my own thread responding to your nonsense ...Then I will answer any of your questions and basically kick your sorry illogical ass around for a bit

Right...

I'm so silly that you can't refute what I'm saying.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What if George Floyd were White?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:15:44