Teen swarmings

Reyn

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:58 pm
I suppose I shouldn't be shocked by this article, but I am. I find it quite disturbing. Recently, I posted about the Kelly Ellard trials and convictions HERE. Obviously, no lessons have been learned about that situation.

For those that are interested, I would like to discuss this violent behaviour amongst teens. Feel free to include in your discussions local stories that illustrate the problems. The story I have posted is from my area.

'Alarming' jump in number of teen swarmings in city
Girls are often more violent than boys

Glenda Luymes
The Province
Friday, July 15, 2005

Vancouver police are warning parents to keep track of their children in the wake of eight savage swarmings in the last month.

"We've been seeing an alarming increase in the number of swarmings," Const. Howard Chow said yesterday.

"We want to send a clear message that the mob mentality does not work."

On Monday night, a 12-year-old and two 13-year-old girls were arrested and charged in connection with the most recent swarming.

On July 4, a 13-year-old girl was jumped by three girls near a park at Pandora and Nanaimo streets. She was thrown to the ground and beaten before a passing motorist scared her attackers away.

The victim's mother, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, said her family is taking it "day by day."

Her daughter suffered two black eyes and a concussion, which kept her vomiting for nearly a week.

"She's healing nice, physically, but she's going to need counselling for the emotional side," the girl's mother said yesterday.

Police said one of the girls charged had been charged with assault in January. She is "loosely affiliated" with a group that was involved in a particularly violent assault in the summer of 2003.

Yesterday police released a convenience-store video of that attack, showing a youth being chased and then swarmed by a large group.

The video showed the teen cowering behind a store counter with his hands over his head. The pursuing youths first threw things at him before stepping behind the counter to beat him. A young girl delivered a number of blows with a merchandise stand.

The gang left the store while the clerk called police, but they eventually returned two more times to beat the victim with a fire extinguisher.

Police said the boy sustained serious injuries. Three youths were charged and pleaded guilty.

Three Grade 7 students at Nootka Elementary were recently arrested after they allegedly hatched "a devilish little plot" to lure a boy into a ravine so they could beat him, said Det. Doug Spencer.

The boy thought he was going to watch a fight when he was pushed into the middle of a circle and beaten with a hoe. His attackers also shot him with a BB gun.

Spencer said many of the swarmings involve makeshift weapons, such as chains, table legs and sticks. Sometimes machetes or more conventional weapons are used.

Sgt. Mario Giardini said that while most of the attacks are not random, "you don't know how much bravado [gang members] will build up."

He said parents need to "keep track" of their kids and talk to them about avoiding violent people, as the same teens, or their siblings, tend to be involved in multiple crimes.

Simon Fraser University criminologist Irwin Cohen said that makes sense, considering that poor parental supervision is often a factor in youth crime.

"Youth crime generally happens between 3:30 and 5:30 [p.m.], when parents aren't home from work yet," he said.

"Chronic young offenders often have family discord and problems.

"When you have kids whose siblings or parents are violent, it certainly raises the risk that they will also be violent."

Cohen said girls are also engaging in group violence more often.

"We've seen that, when in a group, girls can be even more violent than boys. In the past, girls would gain positive status by perhaps being mean or spreading rumours, but today, they can gain respect for being strong and having a reputation as a bully."

Sibylle Artz of the University of Victoria said youth with the poorest "life conditions" are most likely to be violent adults.

"Whether or not [youth] will continue in violent behaviour or in a gang depends on how closely affiliated they are with the gang," she said.

"The people who persist are those who are alienated from society and can't access the resources they need. People with the poorest life conditions generally end up in poor conditions as adults."

But, said Artz, violence in Canada is on a downward trend.

Statistics Canada figures released two weeks ago show the number of violent crimes committed by young people wass declining in 2003.

Violent offences by Vancouver youth aged 15 to 17 were down 40 per cent between 1996 and 2003, and down 36.6 per cent among men aged 18 to 24.

Violent offences among women in Vancouver were also down.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,294 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 07:18 am
I think they should be retitled pre-teen swarmings.

Someone needs to provide these folk with some barbie dolls or checker boards. They're giving the rest of us a bad name.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
Perhaps "youth swarmings", then. What do you think causes this "pack mentality"?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:51 am
I think television and video games have a lot to do with this.

Every day a person can watch shows or play video games where see people, animals maimed and killed.

When all you do is observe, it becomes unreal.
We've all gotten carried away in the moment, only realizing later the impact of our words and actions.

But many people now can go literally days at a time without having any hands on human contact, being only an observer of life, or what passes for it these days.

I was watching a documentary the other day about the Amish community and their practice of allowing their teens go through a time, translated to English as "running around" it a period where they can "get it out of their system".

Drug use and drug dealing are being coming a big problem in the Amish world, and other intrusions on their way of life.
I was struck though, at the maturity level of these teens, who are figuring out what they want to do with their lives.
Even the ones engaging in the drug use/dealing have a VERY clear idea of the impact of their actions, and I heard not one word the disrespect expressed toward their elders, or even their peers.

One of the view adults who appeared on camera was expressing their beliefs on modern technology.
He basically said that it wasn't the idea of new technology they disagreed with, it was the idea of how so many things keep family members apart.
He said that they don't watch TV because every minutes they are watching, that is one minute they are not with their families and friends.

They just "get it" that their community is responsible for giving their children proper values, not some nameless network or media.

Kids see actors get beaten and shot, then see them the next day in an interview.
They emulate how complete strangers, who they will never met act and dress and think, rather than those who are raising them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
Teens and pre-teens, male and female have always been potentially vicious in groups.

They are trying to comprehend the world and establish themselves as individuals, breaking away from the family. As transition between "family" and "independence" their peer groups become terribly important.

If Anne and Betsy and Carol and Donna decided that Emily is out-of-it, they feel justified in picking on Emily. In the '40's and '50--among girls--the violence was verbal.

Chai Tea is right that television and video games have made violence more socially acceptable. The police official is right in blaming poor supervision of the violent kids. The criminologist is right in blaming poor parenting.

My main sympathies are with the hapless victims of the violent posses, but I have some compassion for the posse members who either don't realize that what they are doing is terribly wrong--or don't care that society judges their actions as wicked and depraved.

A lot of children are slipping through the cracks--and there is no safety net below.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 02:12 pm
Chai Tea & Noddy -

Both good posts from you two!

I would agree that media in general has a role to play in this upsurge of violence. Video games so much more, I think, because it's interactive. I saw a clip of the 'Grand Theft Auto' "game" a few days ago on a news program. From what I viewed, there was absolutely no redeeming factors here - just wanton violence for the sake of violence. Seemingly no story, or real play value.

I'm not a prude when it comes to TV or movies, but if violent images are not part of a real plot, I think it has no business being in such. I realize, for example, when it comes to vulgar language, wanton swearing is often put in movies to bump up the age rating, hoping for a bigger boxoffice payola.

Summer time is a particularly bad time for kids getting into trouble. I see it in my area all the time. Kids left on their own while parents are at work. They're bored, so seem to be almost looking for trouble. Parents have to be made responsible - period!

It's difficult to know where to exactly begin on how to improve the situation, and how to achieve it.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/6f/8d/hmgdLawn_and_GardenPest_ControlAllRaid_Wasp_and_Hornet_Killer-resized200.jpg

"Stops swarms - fast."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 06:34 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
It's summer-time, and the kiddies are bored. That's probably reason enough these days! Evil or Very Mad

14-Year Old Recovering From "Swarming" Attack
Jul, 25 2005 - 4:00 PM

A 14-year old Vancouver boy is recovering from the city's latest "swarming" attack.

The victim was approached by five young men while he was walking home from a friend's house.

Constable Tim Fanning says the boy was stabbed with a switchblade near a bus-stop at Joyce and Kingsway around 12:40am Saturday (July23rd).

"He was stabbed in the abdomen and in the back. He managed to get to a friend's place, just a couple blocks away from where the stabbing occurred. His friend immediately called for an ambulance and the police."

Investigators don't believe the stabbing was provoked.

The victim --who did not know his attackers--, is recovering from surgery at children's hospital.

A similar attack was reported in the same neighbourhood near the end of April.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
Evidently for some kids peer pressure can over ride both Family Values and awareness of inconvenient consequences for anti-social actions.

From my morning newspaper:

Quote:
Police arrest five for drive-by shooting
| |

By MICHAEL SADOWSKI

Pocono Record Writer

STROUDSBURG -- A fight over an apartment smoking ban escalated to a drive-by shooting in Stroudsburg on Sunday, police said.

No one was injured, but five people were arrested after gunshots were fired at 12 Garfield Street around 9:30 a.m., said Stroud Area Regional Police Department Lt. Brian Kimmins.

A local couple, Ray Staples III, 23, and Lauryn Givens, and their three children were in the second-floor apartment as the target of the shooting.

One bullet recovered in the apartment hit a mirror that shattered, with some debris spraying on the three children between the ages of 2 months and 2 years, said Kimmins.

Though the shooter left the scene. Witness accounts led police to the Flower Field Motel on West Main Street where they found Heather Wright, 21, who police said got in the original fight that resulted in the drive-by shooting.

Wright was visiting a friend at the Garfield Street apartment last Tuesday and was smoking, even though she had been told multiple times the apartment is a non-smoking residence. police said.

The dispute ended with Wright being hit outside the apartment, said Kimmins.

Wright and the four people who were in the car concocted a plan to get back at people who hit her, said Kimmins.

Police tracked down Wright at the motel even before the vehicle used in the shooting returned to her apartment. Wright was not in the car at the time of the shooting, police said.

Police spotted the vehicle witnesses described and chased it to Bridge Street, where all four suspects were arrested.

Police have not found the gun used, said Kimmins.

"We believe it was thrown from the car while our officers were in pursuit," he said. "We are still looking for it, and are executing further search warrants for the vehicle."

Wright and the other four are in the Monroe County Correctional Facility on $100,000 bail.

Police said the four in the car were:

n Carvell Clermont, 23, of Montclair, N.J., who was sitting in the backseat and was the shooter.

n Heather Murray, 21, of Denville, N.J., who was the driver of the vehicle.

n Brittany Jones, 17, of Stroudsburg, who was the passenger in the front seat.

n Donall Rollins, 21, of East Stroudsburg.

All five were charged with criminal conspiracies to commit homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment of another person and tampering with evidence.

In addition, Murray and Clermont were charged with criminal attempt to commit homicide.

The investigation is continuing.

Granted most of these Nasties are legal adults. Quite possibly they had chosen to impair common sense with recreational substances. All the same, what did they think would happen? A television contract?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:00 pm
It just goes to show how events can escalate out of control from what started out as a minor infraction. That it got to as far as it did is a sad tale of human behaviour.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:23 pm
I think this attitude is now swarming all over the world to become an international problem - in Australia there was a recently stabbing of a 15 year old school girl by a 16 year old boy. The school wasn't sure what to be shocked of more: that she was dead or that her murderer was so young.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
Do you feel that this is a problem no matter what country you're in? In other words, is this a "young people's problem"?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:50 pm
Maybe...it also depends on the countries attitude and policies as well. In conservative religious countries, such problems may not be as highly occuring. But from the Australian attitude, it defiently appears to be a young persons' problem.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:56 pm
The breakdown of society, I think. There's no respect anymore...for anything.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
agreed - I really wish we could go back to the old days when men had to take off their hats to women and manners were essential in public areas, instead of everyday swearing we hear all the time. This was only 100 years ago. modernisation turned us all inside out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
The Global Village has some disadvantages.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
It's a tired old argument, but --

It hasn't been long since a mob of white Americans stringing up one or two or a few black Americans by their neck wasn't such an unusual occurence. Are the descriptions of these events alarming? Sure. Are they without precedent? God no.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:07 pm
A metaphor I've always been fond of: "Ugly as home made sin".

Virtue has never reigned unchallenged in this weary world.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:07 pm
(Except in America in the 1950s, of course. We had it great until all the damn longhairs and communists and freaks and coloreds and women and fairies forgot their place...)

http://www.oah.org/pubs/nl/2003aug/img/mccarthy.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Teen swarmings
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:17:22