Is my coworker being a bitch?

Dsg1116

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 06:06 pm

There’s a coworker that I don’t like and the tension is pretty obvious between us. We had a zoom meeting introducing the team and we had to present a fun fact about ourselves. I mentioned that I collect pop figures, a few people asked how many I have etc. My boss chipped in and showed his pop, the bitch goes “oh that’s what those are, what do you do with those?” And someone was like “What do you mean what you do with them you collect them”. And she’s like “oh I don’t know, I figured you would do something with them”. I think she’s being condescending, my boss approached her about her behavior about a year ago so it’s surprising that she has the nerve.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 844 • Replies: 25
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 06:58 am
Since you already don’t like this person, anything they might say could set you off.

I suggest that you step back and try to control your sensitivity.
Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 07:06 am
@Dsg1116,
Honestly from reading and sitting here it is difficult to tell. The words only just make her sound kind of dumb not mean. But then we cannot see her facial expressions or her voice tone which relays so much more than just words in communicating.

The good news - your boss knows she is a b* and has approached her before so on your side no worries and it seems at least one other person sees this as well as their response kind of gives that impressions. You just ignore her comments and tones and remain professional. You will always come across as a good positive employee if you take this route. And she will look the opposite.
0 Replies

Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 08:33 am
@PUNKEY,
But is it condescending?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 08:51 am
@Dsg1116,
Dsg1116 wrote:

There’s a coworker that I don’t like and the tension is pretty obvious between us. We had a zoom meeting introducing the team and we had to present a fun fact about ourselves. I mentioned that I collect pop figures, a few people asked how many I have etc. My boss chipped in and showed his pop, the bitch goes “oh that’s what those are, what do you do with those?” And someone was like “What do you mean what you do with them you collect them”. And she’s like “oh I don’t know, I figured you would do something with them”. I think she’s being condescending, my boss approached her about her behavior about a year ago so it’s surprising that she has the nerve.

What the hell is a "pop?"

And do they have any use other than to be "collected?"
Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 09:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
No.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 10:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Google funko pop figures. They’re a major industry. The kid’s fiancé is a very talented artist. She does a lot of work customising such figures.

There are a lot of these figures from Disney to Star Wars, the Royal Family certain rock bands and everything in between, but they don't do everyone.

She has done a Cruella deVille and a personal bride and groom.

There is another artist who makes the packaging. She tells him what she wants, she puts her figure in it and sends it off to the customer.

She has an expanding client list. Some people keep coming back for the same character but in a different costume.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Google funko pop figures. They’re a major industry. The kid’s fiancé is a very talented artist. She does a lot of work customising such figures.

There are a lot of these figures from Disney to Star Wars, the Royal Family certain rock bands and everything in between, but they don't do everyone.

She has done a Cruella deVille and a personal bride and groom.

There is another artist who makes the packaging. She tells him what she wants, she puts her figure in it and sends it off to the customer.

She has an expanding client list. Some people keep coming back for the same character but in a different costume.

Thanks, Izzy. They seem like an interesting item. Attractive in a way.

Never heard of 'em before...and if I had been on the call referenced in the OP, I would have asked the same question as this guy's (or gal's) "co-worker."

In any case, I suspect the co-worker is not the bitch in this relationship.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 10:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
We don’t know. If it was you I know you wouldn’t be being a bitch, but I don’t about her. It may be she was being a bitch, but it’s relatively minor so why bother?

We’ve all had to work with people we don’t like. It’s best to stay professional and very polite.

I’m always extremely polite to people I don't like, which is why I’m so rude to you.
Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 10:52 am
@izzythepush,
It’s the fact that she’s asking, considering we don’t like eachother. It’s more a matter of stay out of anything that concerns me
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 10:59 am
@Dsg1116,
You don’t know what was going through her head. She could have thought she was showing an interest.

In any event it’s not important enough to make anything of it.

Try to limit your contacts to work related issues and be very polite.

That way if anything does happen you won’t get the blame.

Working with people you don’t like is part of life.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 11:10 am
Since your boss also displayed his pop figure, I doubt her remark was meant to be condescending, unless she's stupid or tone-deaf.
Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 11:29 am
@glitterbag,
All of the above
0 Replies

Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 07:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Everyone here seems to have an open mind and thinks it was curiosity on her end. I think it was a straight up jab
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 07:41 pm
@Dsg1116,
Which is why it’s probably a good idea to keep your suspicions to yourself.
Dsg1116

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 07:54 pm
@izzythepush,
But you think it is one too?
cherrie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2021 08:56 pm
@Dsg1116,
No one here can know how she meant it. We weren't there.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 02:23 am
@Dsg1116,
I have no idea.

It’s very minor. Forget it and move on or you’ll spend the rest of your life fretting over imagined slights.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 11:50 am
@Dsg1116,
I've always found that when you act as if you are not miffed, it drives the other person nuts. If she intended to be condescending, don't give her the satisfaction of being obviously hurt, or irritated.

Years ago I had a small team of nine young people (AirForce and fresh out of collage newbies). Two of those people (young/immature) who liked to stir things up. One of the young women started telling me about how another team chief would do an impression of me at parties that she thought was hilariously funny. Apparently Marion would mimic the way I sat in a chair, or how I would absently brush my hair back when it got stuck in my collar......my immediate thought, and what shot right out of my mouth was "OMG, I must drive her crazy, I wonder why she is so obsessed with me" . Apparently that wasn't the reaction she was expecting, she wanted discord but all I felt was pity for both of them that they were so stupid as to tell the person who wrote their performance appraisals and recommendations for promotions and awards something that would not be a positive point for them. (Plus I enjoyed the confused look on the young woman's face)

As far as the person who annoys you, the fact that she made an immature observation in front of the boss and entire team speaks poorly of her, and everybody noticed. You have an opportunity to be the class act by not responding to her provocation or her digs........by not reacting you prove she has no power over you at all. I promise you, that will drive her crazy.
Dsg1116

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 03:36 pm
@glitterbag,
So you thought her comment was condescending?

1. Forums
  2. » Is my coworker being a bitch?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:16:38