How Feminism Play a Role In Our Society

CBSwin

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2021 02:58 pm
Here's my view on Feminism. I've always believed, and always will believe, that women should have equal rights, job opportunities, and pay. But in some ways has it gone too far? Are men, other than the complete alpha male, being left behind? I'm mentioning this because of simple biology and how society still views men. We as men are still judged on what we do for a living, what we earn and how we can provide. In other words, the society stereotypes for men still exist. When things are tough, we are still told to "man up." My problem is, are feminists trying to break down those barriers? The traditional female roles in society are no longer in existence? If someone told a woman today to "woman up," the feminists would jump all over that!! My impression is feminists want things both ways. They want to be exactly like men.....but pure biology doesn't make this possible. Because women still are biologically attracted to power and fame. And since their brains are geared that way, there's no way that's ever going to change. That's where I'm concerned for the future of men in our society. I myself, aren't directly concerned with this, because I've been married for 20 years. But what about young men who aren't alpha males? They're still good people. What's their future if everything is so equal, and yet they'll be looked at as inferior, BECAUSE everything is so equal, and also biologically, women will still be attracted to the traditional male roles? I'll admit I'm wrong about this on the day that plumbers and carpenters attract as many women as musicians and athletes.

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 03:06 pm
@CBSwin,
CBSwin wrote:

Here's my view on Feminism. I've always believed, and always will believe, that women should have equal rights, job opportunities, and pay.

Congratulations, you're a feminist! After all, the definition of feminism is "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes," in other words, just what you've always believed.
CBSwin wrote:

But ...

Oh crap, is there where someone says "I'm not racist, but..." and then goes on to say something ridiculously racist?
CBSwin wrote:

... in some ways has it gone too far? Are men, other than the complete alpha male, being left behind?

Yep
CBSwin wrote:
I'm mentioning this because of simple biology and how society still views men. We as men are still judged on what we do for a living, what we earn and how we can provide. In other words, the society stereotypes for men still exist.

Of course they do although being judged for what you have accomplished is far better than being judged on, say your looks. But the reality is that people, both men and women are judged on many superficial traits.
CBSwin wrote:
When things are tough, we are still told to "man up." My problem is, are feminists trying to break down those barriers? The traditional female roles in society are no longer in existence? If someone told a woman today to "woman up," the feminists would jump all over that!!

Didn't you just say that those stereotypes are harmful? As a self proclaimed feminist, you should jump all over that for both men and women.
CBSwin wrote:
My impression is feminists want things both ways. They want to be exactly like men.....but pure biology doesn't make this possible.

No, feminists want equality, equal treatment under the law, in the workplace, in society in general. They don't want to be men, they just don't want to be penalized for not being men.
CBSwin wrote:

Because women still are biologically attracted to power and fame. And since their brains are geared that way, there's no way that's ever going to change.

I'm sorry, but that is just completely wrong. Everyone is attracted to power and fame. If society has restricted your options, you might feel that attaching yourself to someone with wealth is your only out, but how people's "brains are geared" is not part of that.
CBSwin wrote:
That's where I'm concerned for the future of men in our society.

Is this the part where you say that women should be denied opportunities because it will help men?
CBSwin wrote:

But what about young men who aren't alpha males? They're still good people. What's their future if everything is so equal, and yet they'll be looked at as inferior, BECAUSE everything is so equal, and also biologically, women will still be attracted to the traditional male roles?

Yep, sigh. (Strangely you don't mention the "alpha females" to use your terminology who seem to attract an outsized share of male attention. Aren't you worried about the average young woman?)
CBSwin wrote:
I'll admit I'm wrong about this on the day that plumbers and carpenters attract as many women as musicians and athletes.

Maybe you should take another look at your plumber and carpenter. Most I know are married, with kids at home, maybe their spouse is running the office, taking calls while they are out on the job. The birth rate between the sexes is roughly equal, so unless the "alphas" you speak of are running huge harems, there are plenty of fish in the sea and people seem to have no problem finding them. Sure the rich and famous of both sexes get plenty of attention, but in the end, the average folk pair off, work together and often build good lives.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 10:39 pm
@engineer,
Engineer's response is ridiculous. It assumes an absolute all or nothing approach to feminism and ignores a wide range of reasonable opinions.

1. I believe that women should have equal rights and equal opportunities.

2. I believe that progressive ideas about feminism in modern society are bad forany people and damage the social fabric.

Engineer seems to imply that these two statements are contradictory. You can choose to believe one or both of these statements. There is no contradiction.

It is a lie to say that anyone who believe that men and women are equal must accept all of the sometimes extreme views of modern American feminism.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How Feminism Play a Role In Our Society
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 10:26:08