Smart Speakers ... and you?

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 12:17 pm
Beyond that one thread I wrote about my former Amazon Tap, I thought I had made up a general smart speakers thread.

Who has em? Who uses them on a daily basis? I unplug mine (an Amazon Echo - 3rd generation) well over a year ago because it was so unreliable in terms of keeping connected with my home's wifi in my bedroom.

What's your most favorite aspect of having one? Least favorite aspect? Is it always listening or do you have that disabled? Do you have problems with accidentally activating the AI when someone speaks out words that sound similar(ish) to the command words? Has audio from a TV accidentally activate OK Google or Siri or Alexa in your home?

I sometimes think about getting one (one with a video screen) for my kitchen ... and never following through.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 395 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 01:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
When Covid hit, I upgraded my house wifi to a Google mesh system and each station is also a smart speaker. My wife uses it to play music, I use it to answer questions that come up. It is funny how good it can be sometimes. Ask it a math problem, it is better than a calculator. Ask it trivia. My family was watching Bridgerton and asked Google what year it was set in. 1812. Want to know when the rain is going to start, Google has it. I don't have a screen though.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 01:41 pm
Reading these two posts immediately elicited a mental response in me...with Scotty of Star Trek (in The Voyage Home) dealing with a 20th Century computer.

"Computer," he says..."Hello, computer."

Funny scene.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 08:40 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Ask it trivia.

I thoroughly miss doing the weekly Wait Wait Don't Tell Me weekly smart speaker quiz.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 08:39 am
0 Replies