Voice Activated Smart(ish) Home Tech?

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:20 am
Does anybody else use a voice-activated Amazon Echo or Google Home Controller in their home? Do you use it like a personal home assistant: shopping lists; smart home features - turn up the heat/AC or the lights on; etc...?

I bought an Amazon Echo when it was on sale several months ago. It's a pretty strong speaker to listen to music or podcasts. But for voice activated questions? It doesn't stay connected to my wifi unless my phone is paired with it via Bluetooth (so I don't expect it's always on which for some people is a deal breaker as they think it might be spying on them).

I can't fully recommend it for people who see the related commercials on TV and expect to be getting some futuristic AI butler. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Still, worth the price I paid for it regarding a home speaker I can move around (kitchen, bathroom, etc...).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 675 • Replies: 13

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
I have three Amazon Echo's in various rooms throughout the house and I love them (despite a small array of various annoying errors and design issues).

I have a bunch of TPLink Power Plug controllers which allow me to control lights in the house, and I have a few ANKER BlueTooth Speakers which I use with the Echo's for better sound performance when I want to listen to things.

I only rarely use the Echo's for weather reports or shopping lists, but I use them for controlling the lights a lot, and I love them for reading Audible Books and Playing Music and Ambient Sound at night. It has nice voice commands for turning itself off after a specified time. So I routinely end my night by listening to a book for a while, then playing a bit of music, then turning on ambient rain sounds and telling Alexa to turn herself off in 30 minutes. I also use it for a repeating alarm every weekday morning, which I don't have to continuously modify or manage from my iPhone (like I did before).

The TPLink lights have their own controls which I sometimes manage through my iPad or iPhone which allow me to set a range of timers and to schedule away activity.

When I originally got these devices I though they might be slightly entertaining, but the more I use them the more they are becoming integral to our daily activities.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 01:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
XKCD
https://i.imgur.com/WGOPQtG.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
As an Alexa owner, I prevent that problem by having no friends. Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:58 pm
@rosborne979,
‘Hearmuffs’ Are to Your Amazon Echo What Tape Is to Your Webcam
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/selectall/2017/03/15/15-echo-muffs.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.gif
Good grief.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd be really worried that I would order the wrong thing due to my Boston accent.

I got so mad once trying to do a voice recognition thing over the phone - it kept giving the wrong person/department because it interpreted what I said incorrectly.

I could only imagine what I would be getting in the mail rather than what I wanted.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:17 am
@Linkat,
Update:
Not sure how or exactly why but my biggest problem with the Amazon Tap fixed itself.

My biggest problem involved it's particularly loud and obnoxious audible notification bing whenever it connected/disconnected to a Bluetooth source or simply bumping the table and the battery to recharger connections separated for an 1/16th of a second. No matter what the device's volume level, the notification bing volume was at it's highest. Early in the morning or late at night or 2 or 3 in the freaking morning.

BINGBONG!

I tried Tweeting and emailing to Amazon about it. No legitimate reply.

Maybe it was a recent firmware update but about a month ago, that problem disappeared when I found I couldn't really connect my phone or my laptop via Bluetooth ... which is fine as I can now directly listen to Spotify as well as several live streaming radio stations with the Tap (which is basically what I use the device for in the first place).
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 04:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Microsoft Gets Serious About the Smart-Speaker Game
Working with high end speaker company, Harman Kardon.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 05:09 pm
So cute, so smart.

makes me think of hyenas
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Amazon Alexa Devices Are Laughing Spontaneously And It's "Bone Chillingly Creepy"
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:43 am
My father has one of the new Alexas with a video screen and camera. I still wasn't impressed, I don't see how this would make my life better.

I did enjoy the South Park take on these devices (in the episode, people are convinced to throw out these devices and Cartman decides they might be fun to play with).

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 11:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh my gosh this reminds me of my kids' roku. I was sitting in my sun room where we have a TV when I was working from home.

All of a sudden the TV turned on. What?! I checked to make sure I didn't sit on the remote or something - no the remote was on the table no where near me.

Then a show started and I am like what the heck??? I yell to my daughter figuring she might have the other remote or doing something to freak me out - nope. Then she figured it was the roku - she didn't mean it but was trying to view something on the phone and it somehow was connected to the TV.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 09:20 am
@tsarstepan,
https://i.imgur.com/YdGTX8Y.jpg
Sarah's Scribbles
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 12:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Voice Activated Smart(ish) Home Tech?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:04:16