Cryptic Road Trip. Need help with starting clues only!

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 05:07 am
This trip runs between two of America's greatest presidents.
1. From the start head southeast to a polished sounding village.
2. Then head east of south to complete a successful opening.
3. Then head due south to find Pippa with a single line.
4. Then due south to a high point for selective admirers
5. The next point of interest east of south, sounds like it could be a toffee maker for the French branch of Heinz or Crosse and Blackwell.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 14
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 11:43 am
@sophocles,
I’ve not found anything to confirm this but could it be a trip between Washington Tyne and Wear and Lincoln, Lincolnshire in the UK?
cherrie

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 10:35 pm
@izzythepush,
There's a place called Shiney Row which could fit the clue but it's more south south east than south east of Washington.
sophocles

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2021 04:49 am
@cherrie,
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I was at first not looking at England but states in the USA. The only clue I thought I got was a "high point for selective admirers" which I presume is Mount Sinai e.g selective admirers being disciples but I may be wrong completely!
0 Replies

sophocles

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 05:32 am
@izzythepush,
Hi, I am still stumped with this question so I will post further clues.
6. Heading south east, visit a cricketing lawman then a battlefield with sporting connections.
7. then its just east of south to a state capital and pretty much due south to cross the river at a place that once had a park which was home to some tigers.
8. Once across, its south east to a disaster site then work your way south to visit a famous artist.
9. Almost there now, hit the suburbs at a holy city before arriving at your destination. What was the year of the disaster?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 07:50 am
@sophocles,
I don’t know if this is any good, but India won the cricket World Cup last year, and a key player was ex policeman Joginder Sharma.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 08:59 am
@sophocles,
2001 if I'm reading it right. I have no idea about the cricketing lawman but Gettysburg in the US has sporting connections. Then the state capital is Harrisburg, PA (I think, might be Trenton, NJ), then cross a river to Manhattan where the Central Park Zoo once had tigers. The disaster site is the 9/11 site, no idea about the famous artist. Holy city - Bethlehem, PA?

If the disaster site is about 9/11, then the year is 2001.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 09:09 am
@jespah,
There was an apocryphal tale of Michael Jackson fleeing New York with Marlon Brando and others around 9/11.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 01:14 am
@sophocles,
Starting in Washington UK, the polished sounding village is Shiney Row.
I haven't figured out the second clue but the third one is Middleton One Row.
Fourth is Lovesome Hill.
Fifth is Thornton-le-beans. Thornton is a brand of toffee.
Next comes Sheriff Hutton. Sir Leonard Hutton was an English cricketer.
I don't know about the battlefield.
Melbourne is the state capital of Victoria.
The only place I can find for the next one is Goole. It's on a river and has a football club called the tigers. Their training ground doesn't seem to be near the river but the clue suggests that the tigers being in a park near the river was in the past.
Next is Scunthorpe which had an explosion at the ironworks on June 1, 1974 where 28 people were killed.
Gainsborough comes next.
Then the holy city which I have no clue about, then Lincoln.

Or I could be completely wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 03:45 am
@cherrie,
My family are from around Goole. It’s truly awful.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 03:46 am
@cherrie,
Thornton's are a confectioners, they mostly make chocolate, but they make toffee too.
0 Replies

sophocles

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:03 am
@cherrie,
Thanks for that. I think battlefield with sporting connections is Stamford Bridge. The Disaster site is Flixborough in 1974. The holy city is Jerusalem in Skellingthorpe on the suburbs of Lincoln. The only clue I cannot match is cross the river at a place that once had a park which was home to some tigers. Hull City FC nicknamed the tigers used to play at Boothferry Park in Hull but this is off the route!
lmur

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:40 am
@sophocles,
Leicester Tigers (rugby union) apparently played in Belgrave Park before moving to their current ground, Welford Road. Is that anywhere nearby?
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2021 12:45 am
@izzythepush,
Since you have local knowledge do you know if the Tigers had a ground near the river at some point in the past?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2021 04:47 am
@cherrie,
Not Leicester no, my Grandma used to live next to Goole Football ground and you could see the matches from the upstairs rooms, but it wasn’t especially near the river.

Everywhere is quite near the river Humber apparently Goole is Britain’s most inland port.
0 Replies