Would you fly on an airplane designed with feminist mathematics?

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 02:57 pm
We are going over courses for next year in my daughter's high school. They are offering a course in "feminist mathematics". Apparently the idea is that since mathematics was developed by men, it is somehow different than mathematics would be if it had been developed by women.

This discredits the work done by women in normal mathematics (is that masculist mathematics). However it does explain my ex-wife's insistence that she could spend more money than we had.

My daughter will be taking pre-calc next year.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 479 • Replies: 16
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 03:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Pre-calc sounds a bit more encouraging than whatever that other thing was.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
The teaching approach is what’s different with teaching math to women vs men ... obviously not the math itself. Ever hear of math anxiety? Of course you have. Many females have it (vs. males having it) as it’s not a new phenomenon.

Furthermore, in my day (admittedly when dinosaurs 🦕 roamed the earth) , girls were not encouraged to learn higher math and as such it was rare for a woman to go beyond trig or precalculus much less become an engineering student. In the mid- to-late-70s that started to
change. Furthermore, women were looked down upon sociallyvif they were good with advanced math.
longjon

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 03:42 pm
There was a "feminist construction company" entirely run by women a couple years ago that designed a bridge that collapsed and killed a bunch of people. The media buried the story.
Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:02 pm
@longjon,
...And they used to burn witches, too!

And male-run engineering companies haven’t built bridges that collapsed and killed people too? Give me a break! Take a look With search engine for the 1940 collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:35 pm
@Ragman,
I'm a mathematical retard. My sisters, though, are extremely math savvy. Math anxiety was my general mode throughout my school years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:44 pm
@maxdancona,
you really need to acquire a course syllabus before we render opinions.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
Mississippi Legislature Math would have had pi=3.00. They were mostly good ole boys, some with high school educations
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:56 pm
@Ragman,
No Ragman. A teaching approach that meets the needs of girls is not "feminist math". That isn't what they are talking about. In education we talk about the pros and cons of single sex education etc. In my opinion and experience, this does more harm than good.

By the way, it is still rare for a woman to go beyond trig or precalculus. Even highly educated women avoid advanced math and science. That is another issue.

Do you at least agree with this... the mathematics content and education standards applied should be the same for men and women.

I want my daughter in a real mathematics class.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 04:59 pm
It always makes me laugh when I hear a gender studies professor discussing why there aren't more women in mathematics and science.
0 Replies

longjon

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 05:03 pm
@Ragman,
The point you're missing is that the media was touting this "feminist construction company"as an example of "wha-men power", then, when the bridge collapsed almost immediately after it opened, the media buried the story.

Men are better at math, reasoning, logic, design, engineering, etc. Things that serve practical uses and drive society forward. Women are better at "feelings" and making sammiches. I'm sorry that you're butt hurt that nature made it that way.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 07:25 pm
@longjon,
longjon wrote:

Men are better at math, reasoning, logic, design, engineering, etc. Things that serve practical uses and drive society forward. Women are better at "feelings" and making sammiches. I'm sorry that you're butt hurt that nature made it that way.

Really? I am a woman and I excelled at math and love logic and reasoning. This is why I ended up majoring in economics I loved the logic and reasoning things out. Using math and stats and graphing to come to a logical conclusion.

I also remember in college having a horrible teacher for calculus...he completely confused me. After taking my first exam and not doing so well I opted to not go to class and teach myself from the book. I just went to class to take tests..my grades improved greatly. I used to reason out problems myself and not follow how the teachers taught so this feminism math if it is how it is taught might have something to it.

I always felt that girls were encouraged to take more soft majors..now though they are encouraging them to go into the harder subjects ..my daughter will be graduating this year with an environmental science degree and my other daughter is starting in prephysical therapy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 08:01 pm
The current ideology is that all things being equal, there will be equal numbers of men and women who excel in advanced math and hard science. I do not believe this is necessarily true.

There are studies that suggest that men might be more likely to be outliers (either unusually brilliant or unusually dull). Since advanced math programs and hard science filter for the unusually brilliant... even in a perfectly equal society there may be more men than women in these fields.

There is also the matter of personal choice, particularly when it comes to the renegade geniuses in math or science. So much in engineering and mathematics was created by antisocial assholes working alone in a basement. Peer to peer networking was this way, as were frameworks and advances in cyber security. The most revolutionary physicists and mathematicions were not the people who studied and worked hard to reach the top of their field, but the people who toiled away in isolation to pursue something no one else paid attention to.

There is no reason that a woman can't be an anti-social asshole toiling away in a basement. There is no social pressure making men do this. However, there aren't very many women even now who choose to work this way. I can't think of one.

The big is what does equality mean. There is equality of opportunity (everyone has the same chances if they choose). There is equality of result (the same number of men and women are represented in each field).

There are not the same thing.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 08:14 pm
If you want to challenge my misogyny, don't show me women working hard and following the rules to get good grades and advanced degrees.

Show me women who can are driven to isolate themselves in a basement and work obsessively on a project that consumes them at the cost of social interaction.

I will applaud them. It is this type of obsessive drive that pushes the boundaries of science, mathematics and engineering. It seems to be a uniquely male trait. Richard Stallman changed the nature of software. Linus Torvalds created the Linux operating system. Shawn Fanning created Napster in his basement. Key advances in internet, cryptography, graphics, cryptocurrency... all made by anti-social assholes.

Unfortunately anti-social obsession isn't something that can be developed in an educational program. I don't know how to persuade women to do this.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:31 am
@longjon,
'longjon' wrote:
There was a "feminist construction company" entirely run by women a couple years ago that designed a bridge that collapsed and killed a bunch of people.

Yeah, sure there was. Is anyone surprised that this clown posts a fake news story? Pathetic.

Quote:
Q: Is the firm that built the pedestrian bridge that collapsed in Miami “a female-led construction company,” as claimed in some viral stories?

A: No. The company is run by six brothers, and 11 of its 92 management employees are females.

FULL ANSWER

Using the deadly bridge collapse in Miami as an entry point to discuss “things that women shouldn’t do,” as one story puts it, several online posts are claiming that the construction company that built the structurally flawed bridge at the Florida International University is “female-led.” Six people were killed in the March 15 accident.

“A Female-Led Construction Company Built The Florida Bridge That Collapsed,” reads the headline on the March 19 minuteman-militia.com story, which Facebook users flagged as potentially false. “Though MCM is owned by five brothers, a lot of people one rung down the ladder from them are women,” it says. “Some of the construction workers are even women.”

Another story appeared on dangerous.com, the website of conservative commentator Milo Yiannapolous, who asserted similar claims in a live Facebook video.

“The tragic bridge collapse of Florida International University a few days ago, it turns out, has a feminist dimension — because of course it does,” he said in the video shared with his more than 2 million Facebook followers. “It turns out that the company MCM that built this bridge, although it’s owned by men — because of course it is — it’s run by women, including the CEO. Some of the construction workers were even female.”

The stories — without evidence — leave the false impression that female employees were responsible for the bridge collapse, even though the National Transportation Safety Board has not yet determined an official cause.

In a statement emailed to FactCheck.org by a company spokesman, MCM President Jorge Munilla said the stories circulating “spewed hate against women and minorities while promoting white supremacy, which we will not tolerate as a company.”

MCM’s website shows that Munilla and his five brothers run the company, and two other men are on the executive management team.

MCM does have women in construction management jobs, project executive positions and as department heads, company spokesman Donald Silver said in an email. In all, 11 of the 92 employees in management positions are women, Silver said.

Silver confirmed that photos published in some of the stories were of actual MCM employees but included captions that “are not accurate.” The photos were taken from the company’s social media pages, which it has since suspended.

“This was done out of an abundance of caution for the safety of our staff due to a fabricated article making the rounds on junk news sites featuring the photos and names of MCM female employees,” the company told us.

And no one holds the title of CEO, Silver said. (MCM’s partner in the project — FIGG Bridge Engineers, which specializes in bridge design — is run by President and CEO Linda Figg.)

In an apparent attempt to connect women executives to the accident, the stories use a legitimate quote from Leonor Flores, a female project executive for MCM, that was published in a story on Florida International University’s website before the collapse.

Flores, who is a university alumna, spoke of sharing her line of work with her 12-year-old daughter as they watched the installation of the 950-ton pedestrian bridge, which was intended to connect the university’s campus and the city of Sweetwater.

“It’s very important for me as a woman and an engineer to be able to promote that to my daughter because I think women have a different perspective,” Flores said. “We’re able to put in an artistic touch and we’re able to build too.”

The Minuteman Militia story mocked Flores’ quote, saying it shows she wants only to make bridges “look pretty. Nothing else matters.”

There’s no evidence that Flores was involved in the university’s project. FIU updated its story after the bridge collapse, and it now says, “To clarify, Leonor Flores did not work on the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge project in any capacity.”

factcheck

'longjon' wrote:
The point you're missing is that the media was touting this "feminist construction company"as an example of "wha-men power", then, when the bridge collapsed almost immediately after it opened, the media buried the story.

Um, the only one missing any point is you; the story is fake and you were played for a sucker.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:59 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The current ideology is that all things being equal, there will be equal numbers of men and women who excel in advanced math and hard science

No the current ideology is that women have the same opportunity to study and excel in advanced math and hard science.

which I think for the most part they do -in the past, it was discouraged for women to study these subjects and encouraged for them to study the softer subjects - the reverse for men.

Now I see much more encouragement for women to study the sciences. They have special programs where young girls can explore science to encourage more females in this field.

I see more teachers encouraging both boys and girls to pursue studies in college and other means in subjects in which they excel rather than because of their gender. My daughter has advanced placement calculus right now and her math teacher did tell her she should consider studying math in college. So I do see this much more now.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:01 am
@longjon,
Point is lost as it is a fake post.

Wondering how it is you can type and post while you’re knuckles are dragging on the ground?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you fly on an airplane designed with feminist mathematics?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:51:42