Who owns a copyright when the record company goes out of business?

Danny D

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 09:15 am
I know a composer performer who got a record deal, before 1978, and he made a mistake and let the record company file and own all the copyrights to his songs. The company went out of business years ago. If they did not renew the copyrights or sell them to anyone, does the ownership of the songs go back to the composer? The record company dissolved totally, long ago.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 10:27 am
@Danny D,
This site does not give legal advice.

I would imagine it all depends on whether or not the rights had any monetary value if so they would have probably have gone to the creditors.

There should be a record somewhere of how the company was dissolved and the assets liquidated.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2021 01:30 pm
@Danny D,
Danny D wrote:

I know a composer performer who got a record deal, before 1978, and he made a mistake and let the record company file and own all the copyrights to his songs. The company went out of business years ago. If they did not renew the copyrights or sell them to anyone, does the ownership of the songs go back to the composer? The record company dissolved totally, long ago.

Hire a copyright attorney. There are a lot of possibilities and variables.

And as Izzy previously stated and via the site's TOS:
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who owns a copyright when the record company goes out of business?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.46 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:12:03