I don't know what I have... [18M]

squeezy

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2021 01:41 pm
I don't know what I have... [18M]

I'm 18 y.o.

I'm an average looking guy with positive attitude and a really good heart and people tell me I have a sense of humor and a good personality. When I talk to people one on one or in a small group, I can ask open minded questions and keep the conversation going if they reflect the same energy back. Many females also find me attractive and having a good personality and a dating type.

However, sometimes (once a month or for a small period of time each month) I just completely turn off and end up in another world. Like I'm not even there with the people I'm with.

I also almost never speak when it comes to big group conversations. I just keep listening and it ends up being really awkward. I don't know how to relate to anything and I forget everything in these conversations. And when I speak my words sometimes join together and sometimes my tone is really high or really low...

I don't want to be this way. I wanna be the guy that any person would be comfortable hanging out with. I want to connect with people deeper and specially when it comes to big group conversations.

Just literally 1 hour ago. I spoke to a big group of strangers only 4 of them whom are my friends. It went like this: I started talking, said about 6 words, stared at the floor for 5 seconds, forgot everything I was about to say, I started shaking, Then I said something completely unrelated to the topic, then I fixed my mistake and just got to the end. People felt bad for me and they just clapped or started laughing in a friendly way. I have never been more humiliated!!

I need advice on how to improve this side of myself. I'm a first year BSc in Engineering and engineering majors mostly need good leaders with confidence and a personality in the workplace. Overcoming this huge fear of mine could really help me now and in the future.

Do I have social anxiety? How do I minimize this? What should I start doing from now on?

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2021 02:22 pm
@squeezy,
I think you're...

… normal.

Seriously.

Lots of people don't do well in large groups. It can feel weird and awkward to try to break into a conversation. So don't concern yourself with that.

Being the listener in a large group isn't a bad role at all. And you can pick your moments. I think you got nervous and lost your train of thought, and that happens. It's okay!

Picking your moments means you might want to make some point or another but the conversation has already moved on. But there's no law against circling back. Or just dropping your point and not even bothering to express it. That's okay, too.

Being a good conversationalist doesn't just mean speaking. It means listening, it means interacting, it means asking good questions, and it means mastering the art of the segue (you can also call it a pivot, if you prefer).

What am I talking about?

It's the art of directing the conversation to a new topic so seamlessly that it makes sense to everyone talking.

"Speaking of the Mandalorian, I heard they were making Grogu dolls in Portugal and those are going to be available for Christmas. But I'll believe that when I see it."

"Now that you mention football, I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the game but I love the Super Bowl commercials. Can you imagine being the CEO of a company with so much money to throw around that they just blow millions on a minute of advertising? I mean, couldn't they just hire a few people instead?"

"Your new diet sounds fascinating. But I'm not so sure I could eat all that pasta, week in, week out. How do you do it?"

Of course I've made up about 98% of the above, but you get the idea.

Do your best to relax, and if you want to course correct, you can do something like that. And BTW, so many people just talk, talk, talk that it can be hard to find someone who truly listens. If you do, and you ask thoughtful questions and make thoughtful statements, that impresses a lot more people than you may know.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I don't know what I have... [18M]
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:56:58