Besides Pepe the Frog, what toons and/or comics took off because they originated on (old) Myspace?

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 12:06 am
Hello. I know on the old Myspace, in the pre-Justin Timberlake era, Pepe the Frog is a cartoon character that became popular and famous as a meme because it originated on Myspace. Pepe has become an international icon. In hindsight I wish I had cartoons and comics published on there. They might have taken off by now.

Have other artists' creations- cartoons, comics, etc., - taken off and became famous and popular, because they originated on the old Myspace?

I was doing research on this and I haven't found anything else. I was trying to find out about animated cartoons that originated on Myspace; i.e., animations that originated on Myspace. All I have found is stuff on animated GIFS of cartoon characters. I would like to think people published original animated cartoons on the old Myspace.

Please help. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
What Killed MySpace? (It Wasn't Facebook)

A lot of people think that Facebook ended MySpace but in reality, this isn't the case. In this video we'll go back to the 2000's to find out what really ended MySpace.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
This page (I think through vagueness or implication) drops at least titles to comic stories written (possible specifically) for a Myspace/Dark Horse Comics collaboration.

It doesn't say which stories/characters were designed specifically for this project. Or they just had stories from preexisting characters and/or story arcs published here due to the opportunity that the collaboration provided.

You can suss out (by obviously reading the list) which of the more famous or well-known characters existed prior to the 2009 publication time (but I'm not going through the entire list for you for those characters I've never heard of before to see if they originally premiered here or not. I suspect they mostly are preexisting characters... yada yada yada).
https://imgur.com/JVZyh8S.jpg

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
There apparently was six volumes of comics published under this MySpace Dark Horse Presents collaboration.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 04:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
A brief look through the list, I recognize 4 of the stories: The Umbrella Academy, Dr. Horrible, BPRD, and Conan the Barbarian.

Conan and BPRD (spinoff of Hellboy) have been around for years, long before MySpace. The other two are well known because of its creators (Gerard Way and Joss Whedon) and both stories didn't first exist on MySpace. Dr. Horrible was a popular web show during the 2007 Writers' Strike, and The Umbrella Academy was published as a 6 issue miniseries.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you for sharing that. What animated cartoons and comic strips took off, i.e, became popular and famous because they originated on Myspace?

I know there are comics on Myspace, I have seen them on there, like this one:

https://myspace.com/debaoki/mixes/classic-bento-box-comic-strips-505030/photo/236300617

There are animated cartoon videos on Myspace like this one:

https://myspace.com/236209218/video/flona-arabic-cartoon/2414798

I don't know how popular and famous the preceding strip and cartoon are. I don't know if these are indie works. To be clear, I am talking about and am looking for indie animated cartoon videos and indie comic strips on the OLD Myspace.

What memes besides Pepe the Frog took off because they originated on Myspace?

I never had a Myspace account or looked at Myspace before the Timberlake era. I don't know too much about it. All I know about the old Myspace was that there was a lot of HTML stuff involved, and there was interactive audio on it, and you could add music to stuff. You could hear people you were interacting with on there, if I am not mistaken.

I would like to look at archived pages of the old Myspace to see if I can find old comic strips and cartoon videos on it but I don't know where to look for them and under what search heading I should use assuming I can find this stuff on old archived Myspace pages.

There must be other ways to dig up old Myspace pages besides searching for them on Archive.org.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 08:38 pm
I don't know any users who were ON the OLD Myspace. I don't know which users showcased old comic strips they created or old animated cartoons they created and showcased on the old Myspace. If I knew of any such users I could search for their old Myspace profiles in Archive.org.

I tried doing searches for animated cartoons and comic strips on archived pages of the old Myspace on Archive.org. I wasn't really finding anything.

I know the site was founded in 2003 and it was in its heyday between 2005 and 2008. Timberlake didn't buy the site until 2011.

Does anyone here know how I can find old user-created animated cartoons and user-created comic strips that were showcased on Myspace between 2003 and 2011? Any suggestions for how I can narrow these searches down?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 11:20 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Does anyone here know how I can find old user-created animated cartoons and user-created comic strips that were showcased on Myspace between 2003 and 2011?

I'm going to say no and bet that there isn't anyone here with that hyperspecific and niche expertise.

Quote:
Any suggestions for how I can narrow these searches down?

What exactly do you plan to do with them? I'm hoping it ain't plagiarizing them in hopes that they're so esoteric/not well known that you hope to get away with it. I can't see any other reason to hunt down such ephemeral content.
0 Replies