Will my bird cage fit 2 budgies, or should i just get 1?

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 05:44 pm
I am prepared for either, but i dont want my bird(s) to suffer. My bird cage is 12 deep by 18 wide by 63 tall. Is this okay for 2?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 06:48 pm
@MoonyLupinBird,
What kind of bird are you getting?
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 07:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Title says budgies. We call them parakeets on our side of the pond.

Are those dimensions you provided in inches or in metric?

Two are happier than one. I had one single bird for more than 5 years, FWIW.
MoonyLupinBird

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 10:34 pm
@Ragman,
The cage is in inches! (:
0 Replies

MoonyLupinBird

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 10:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Im getting a male budgie, or parakeet. (Maybe a fancy parakeet-- still deciding.)
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 11:00 pm
@MoonyLupinBird,
My advice would be to double the size of the cage if you are thinking to buy 2. Twice that size for 2 birds or there may be tension and territorial issues. One bird maybe a bit easier to handle.

Furthermore, If you'll be trying to train the bird to talk, though sometimes unsuccessful, it can be a bit easier with one. Less distraction. Trading to talk (a few words) takes many months, if they talk at all.

I suggest reading up on budgies before buying one or more. Libraries are a good resource for info on how to raise and keep birds.

Are you a minor? If so what help will your parents provide you? What do they advise you? What pets have you had before? Do you have any
pets now? Is your home safe for pets? Any other young children in the
home?

Are you buying from a reputable pet store that provides any sort of health guarantee. If so for how long?

This is not a simple process and requires some education and thinking ahead. I wish you good luck.
MoonyLupinBird

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 12:05 pm
@Ragman,
i have done lots of research, and they recomend that the cage be atleast 12 by 18 by 18 inches, i just didnt know if i could maybe have more. Reviews say its spacious enough for 3 even, but i dont believe that.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2020 03:19 am
@MoonyLupinBird,
Well the bigger and wider the cages the better. It gives the birds more freedom and mental stimulation. We had a parakeet years ago when my brother was a teenager who loved being with him. He would chirp whenever my brother came in the house, I don't know how he distinguished the key in the lock sound, but he was never wrong. When bro took a shower, the bird would be on the shower rood and would fly in and sit on Michaels head to share in the shower. But let things develop naturally, don't try to force birds to share in activities.....they are not stupid, if they are interested they will join in. Just take your time and make sure they have toys and hopefully same sex companions...but don't put 2 different breeds in a cage alone.......they may need their own cage for safety. My old friend from work mistakenly left two diferrent breeds together for half a day and the larger bird sadly bit most of the other birds foot off. Never leave then alone unsupervised while you are away for more than a half an hour.
0 Replies

MoonyLupinBird

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2020 02:18 pm
Update guys! Returning the cage and getting one that's 16.5 inches deep, 24 inches wide, and 27.4 inches tall! Thanks for all your answers!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Will my bird cage fit 2 budgies, or should i just get 1?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.21 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:20:05