I have seen my fair share

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 01:47 pm
I am sharing this because I have seen my fair share and helped out in quite a number of accidents. At that point in time, the scene was very chaotic, and not much first aid was being done. My friends and I did what we could before the two ambulances arrived,” said Mr Fariz.

What is meant by "I have seen my fair share"?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 263 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 02:02 pm
@tanguatlay,
The phrase ‘more than my fair share,’ is used to express that someone has seen a lot of or done a lot of something. Quite often it’s something arduousorunpleasant.

A fireman could say they’d seen more than their fair share of house fires, or a homicide detective could say they’d seen more than their fair share of murder victims.

I suspect that is what the writer means to say, that they have seen a lot of road accidents in their time, probably even more than most people. However, as they’ve missed out more it simply means they had seen as many accidents as one would expect someone of their age to have seen.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 02:44 pm
Thanks, izzythepush!

How should the "more" be placed?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 02:47 pm
@tanguatlay,
At the beginning of the phrase as I’ve already written.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

At the beginning of the phrase as I’ve already written.

Thanks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I have seen my fair share
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:41:54