My best friend want to be friend with someone who has hurt me

Maritta

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 03:23 pm
Hello!!!!
I have a best friend for years.
Some years ago another friend hurt me a lot during a very difficult period for me while I suffered from cancer and I was operated.
I have tried a lot to forget it since we are colleagues at work and I have managed to talk to her and cooperate with her without problems. However my heart cannot forget the pain she caused to me and I feel bad whenever I see her and especially when she tries to be good with others and the boss.
My problem is that my best friend seems to like her and he wants to befriend her.
I cannot tell hm anything but I do not feel comfortable. What should I do?

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 03:46 pm
@Maritta,
Your friend has the right to be pals with anyone they want to. You don't have veto power over those choices. All you can do is tell them that this person makes you uncomfortable, and you would rather not be a part of any gathering where they are.

If your best friend asks about this, then tell them the truth and nothing more. Be the bigger person and resist the temptation to trash this third person.

After all, they may have changed. And your bestie is entitled to trust their own judgment and even make their own mistakes.
Maritta

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 11:11 pm
@jespah,
Thank you very much for the answer. I know all this but it is very difficult to accept. The fact is that if someone hurt my best friend I wouldn't befriend them, so, deep inside, although I know that I do not have the right to tell my friend who he will be friend to, I expected that he would do the same as me.
Also, I have thought it many times...maybe that person has changed...so..why didn't she say sorry to me for that awful behavior?
I know you are right, though...I have to accept this...thank you!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 11:24 pm
Does this person from the past know that they hurt you deeply? Did you ever get a chance to talk to that person about the situation? Perhaps they have no idea that they hurt you so much or how you feel.
Maritta

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 11:58 pm
@PUNKEY,
Hello!!!
Yes, talked to her many times. She thinks that she did not do anything wrong. I thought it many times that maybe it was my fault and that she did not do anything, but...
she verbally attacked me many times, the first one two days after my operation she messaged me that she felt bad for her behavior...no sorry, nothing sth like that, but for me it was as if she had regretted and I forgot everything... then, when I came back to work, I felt she was detached I asked her and started shouting for no reason telling unbelievable things...
glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 12:23 am
@Maritta,
I suggest caution, keep a distance, don't get ugly but don't be overly open. Sometimes the people we think are friends are not very good friends.
Maritta

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 02:39 am
@glitterbag,
Thank you!
Yes, I know that about friends... but you mean my best friend? to keep distance...?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 07:09 am
This is causing a lot of stress for you. Perhaps you should look for another job. You have feelings that are yours and yours only. Others have a right to have any kind of relationship with her as they want.

Perhaps later she will treat them the same way.

It’s just better to get away from someone whom you have such strong negative feelings about. And don’t try to be so friendly to her. Learn how to put yourself in “ neutral” around the workplace.

Have you told your new best friend about what happened between you and this other person? I don’t think that there would be anything wrong with that but you should not try to encourage her to dislike that person.

Maritta

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 08:11 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you! It is difficult to change workplace. It is also difficult for me to talk to my best friend about what happened with her because he may hate her....
Time is the b st doctor..I will be patient...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My best friend want to be friend with someone who has hurt me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:43:44