Does a high average daily caffeine consumption create a tolerance to the effect of caffeine?

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2020 01:54 pm
Hi,

Participants took part in a reaction time test. They repeated the test 2 times on seperate occasions, once with caffeine (experimental) and once with no caffeine (control).

Each participants average daily caffeine consumption was measured by a self report questionnare.

I am looking to see if the daily caffeine consumption creates a tolerance to caffeine and therefore if this effects performance (reaction time) by comparing the experimental to control

Would i need to test for normality?

What correlation should i run?

Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 541 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Apothecary

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2023 11:25 am
@JoeSmittle,
As far as I can tell (not an expert), any drug consumption (and caffeine is technically a drug) creates a ressistance.

The more caffeine you consume, the more your body stops producing the chemicals that are replaced by caffeine, because it can predict you will take caffeine so you will have a new normal.

Yes, I think you should test for normality.

Perhaps, increased caffeine consumption - increased reaction time.

But you should also be wary of other variables such as the participants daily diet as whole. Probably should ask them what they eat today in the questionnare as well, just to make sure there aren't any other variables at play.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2023 04:53 pm
@Apothecary,
There's nothing technical about it.

You should see the effect it has on spider's webs.

LSD didn't have much of an effect at all.
0 Replies