for or of?

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 12:23 pm
How do we explain to the masses? This is what they wanted. Tengku Zafrul had conceded (to our demands). Do we still reject? What are the grounds of the rejection?" said Anwar, who is Port Dickson MP.

Should it be "for" instead?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 341 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 04:53 pm
Please help. Thanks!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 05:06 pm
@tanguatlay,
In this situation, I believe either preposition can be used. Although of would be the better choice.
Of is used when pertaining to something. In this case the matter of rejection. For would refer to matters of time.

Hopefully, another person can clarify.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 07:37 pm
https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/vs/of-vs-for-differences-and-proper-grammar-use.html

What Does “For” Mean?
Like “of,” there are many similar ways to define “for.” In general, the word “for” means:

The purpose/reason, destination, recipient, or amount of something

Examples Using “For” in a Sentence
Keep in mind that “for” usually indicates a purpose.

Is that cookie for me?I’m asking if I am or will be the recipient of the cookie.
We could substitute white fish for crab meat.The purpose of the fish is to replace the crab meat.
She is speaking for him.The reason she’s talking is because he can’t or won't.
We protest for climate change.The purpose of the protest is to promote climate change awareness.
That vigil was for the people who died in the fire.The recipients of the vigil were the people who died.
Did you look in the drawer for your glasses?The reason why you would look in the drawer is to find the glasses.
For Valentine’s Day I always buy chocolate.The purpose of buying chocolate is Valentine’s Day.
He saved a seat for his best friend.The person who gets the seat is his best friend.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » for or of?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 09:16:13