80s UK Computer Mags Research

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 09:23 am
I would like to learn about the magazine publication-processes of the mid-1980s, specifically regarding monthly and weekly computer magazines in the UK, in general, on average.

If the process can be divided into: (1) writing, (2) editing, (3) printing (incl. typesetting), (4) distribution, and (5) release, for *monthly* and *weekly* magazines...

1. How long before final public release would an article be written, more or less, for monthly and weekly magazines? (Should a distinction be made between regular columns and once-off articles?)

2. How long did editing take, i.e. proofreading, as well as placement and arrangement of articles and ads, for monthly and weekly ...?

3. How long did printing (incl. typesetting) take, for m&w Ms?

4. How long did distribution take, for m&w Ms?

5. If a monthly magazine indicated the publication date "November 1984" on its front page, when was it likely to have actually been released to the public?

6. If a weekly magazine indicated the publication date "Sept 4-10, 1984" on its front page, when was it likely to have actually been released to the public?

...or could you perhaps refer me to someone who would be able to answer these questions?

Thanks.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 10:31 am
@user2357,
Have you thought of writing to any of the big publishing houses? IPC have been printing comics and magazines for donkey’s years and they probably printed some computer titles back then.
user2357

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you, izzythepush, for your suggestion.

None of the publishers of the publications I'm researching, seem to be operating anymore.

However, I will follow up on your suggestion to contact IPC. Hopefully, they will be able to supply me with the info I require.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

user2357

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 01:39 pm
@izzythepush,
FIY, turns out IPC Magazines Ltd. eventually became TI Media, and is now owned by Future plc. I have managed to send them an email. Awaiting their reply.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 02:06 pm
@user2357,
Good I think a lot of the big media firms merged buying up back catalogues. DC Thompson publish a lot of magazines as well, and then there’s the newspaper publishing houses.
user2357

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2020 03:21 am
@izzythepush,
TI Media have not yet responded to my email. By now, I doubt they will.

I'll try DC Thompson next. Thanks, izzythepush.
0 Replies

user2357

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 03:28 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks, again, but DC Thompson couldn't help.

ATM, I'm willing to bungle along with my own estimates and calculations as best I can, and monitor here on a weekly basis, to see if any other workable suggestions might pop up in future.

Thanks, izzythepush. I really appreciate your input. Please feel free to make any further suggestions as you might come across them.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 07:25 am
@user2357,
Have you thought of other, more popular, forums?

Is there a Facebook group for long term computer users, or something like that?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 10:40 am
@user2357,
What about the computer magazines that are around today, especially the smaller publications?

They may have people working there from those days, or they may be aware of the history.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 10:43 am
@user2357,
Other than that there’s academia, you could see if anyone has had any doctorate published about it, or if there is a branch of academia dedicated to historical computing.

0 Replies

user2357

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 01:06 am
For anyone interested, on 2021apr16fri, Lucas Rayner posted the following, thoroughly-referenced reply on the alt.fan.elite Google Group.

Quote:
This is a bit of a late reply, but I'll follow up just in case it's
still useful.

It was (and I think still is) usual for UK magazines to arrive in shops
the week or month before the date listed on the cover.

You may be able to find an exact date by carefully checking the issue
before the one you're interested in. For instance:

- Crash reviewed the Spectrum version of Elite in issue 22 (dated
November 1985). Issue 21 has "Next Instalment of CRASH hits the streets
on 24th October" on the contents page.

- Amstrad Action reviewed the Amstrad CPC port in issue 3 (dated
December 1985). Issue 2 has a "Next Month" page near the back that
states "Available from Thursday November 7th!!"

- Zzap!64 reviewed the Commodore 64 version in issue 1 (dated May 1985).
As such, there's no previous issue to check, but issue 1 says "Zzap!
No.2 on sale May 9th!!" on the contents page, so it's a fair assumption
that issue 1 went on sale similarly early in April.

My guess is that the practice of printing the next release date was more
common in newsstand magazines, where it was good business to remind
readers when to buy the next issue, and less common if the magazine was,
say, a user group newsletter that would always be mailed out on a
regular subscription.

All the best with your research!

R
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 80s UK Computer Mags Research
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:33:27