Inheritance Problem

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:17 am
My father recently got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was put on hospice. My sister and I (both in our 30’s) just figured out he’s leaving all his assets (around 7 million) to our stepmom. She is around our age, and my dad is in his late 60’s. My sister and I are hurt by this, and my dad is not open to discuss it.

My question for all of you is what would you do in this situation? My sister and I have always had a good relationship with our dad, but it’s sadly taken a turn south due to this. Would you act like it’s all good and try to enjoy the last few weeks together? Would you turn your back on him? Thank you in advance.

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:29 am
@Pointsofview2207,
I would recognize that (presumably) my father is a competent person capable of making his own financial decisions. And if I am not included in those decisions, then I would keep my sour grapes to myself as he owes me nothing.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:51 am
@Pointsofview2207,
It is all good, no need to pretend. Enjoy the time he has left. That was never your money so no loss.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:01 am
@Pointsofview2207,
I understand why you are hurt by this... I would be too. I agree that this isn't your money, but it does feel like he is putting this woman over you.

That being said, death is final and you need to decide how to spend this time with him. This is a time for resolving feelings, you could express how you feel if this is important to you. You don't get to express your feelings at a later date.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Inheritance Problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:12:30