Comma after "that is"?

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:27 am
There is only one difference between transport and transportation, that is transport is for public to move one place to another and transportation is moving anything like goods is used for transportation. Conventionally, there is no difference between the two words.

Should there be a comma after "that is"?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 386 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hightor

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:36 am
@tanguatlay,
It works better with the comma. The phrase, "that is transport is", is confusing with no comma. If the sentence were being spoken, there would be a slight pause between "that is" and "transport is" — the comma reflects that pause.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:40 am
Many thanks, hightor!
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2020 07:45 pm
@tanguatlay,
There are five grammatical errors, one logical mistake and a redundancy in the first sentence.

See if you can find them all.

What fun.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:17 am
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

There are five grammatical errors, one logical mistake and a redundancy in the first sentence.

What fun.

I wish I could!
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 08:01 pm
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

What fun.
Could you point out the mistakes? Thanks!
knaivete

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2020 08:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
There is only one difference between transport and transportation, that is transport is for public to move one place to another and transportation is moving anything like goods is used for transportation.

Ladies first Elaine.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2020 05:29 am
Hi knaivete,

My attempt is as follows:

There is only one difference between transport and transportation: transport is for public to move from one place to another and transportation is for moving anything like goods. Conventionally, there is no difference between the two words.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2020 07:03 am
Conventionally, there is no difference between the two words.

I think the above sentence is the logical mistake because initially the writer says there is a difference but in the last sentence, he or she says there is no difference.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Comma after "that is"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:47:46