Rap Lyrics-How Much is too Much?

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
As a black woman I made the decision to not listen to rap music with offensive lyrics. One day it just dawned on me after listning to yet another band on the radio refer to my gender as a bitch, then I thought, "when did this cease to shock me?" Then I became concerned. It should always concern me. Why should I plunk down my heard earned cash to purchase music from misogynistic musicians? As a woman I should always be shocked and it should always give me pause. And I certainly don't want to support it financially. When I told my grlfriends about my revelation, 3 also agreed. But one actually accused me of being a traitor to my race for not supporting black music. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 5
No top replies

benjamino

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:16 am
yeah i agree, i've got so used to hearing that that it doesn't even register now but it should, but what do you think about 'broads' or 'birds' or 'chicks' etc.?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
Re: Rap Lyrics-How Much is too Much?
alakritz wrote:
As a black woman I made the decision to not listen to rap music with offensive lyrics. One day it just dawned on me after listning to yet another band on the radio refer to my gender as a bitch, then I thought, "when did this cease to shock me?" Then I became concerned. It should always concern me. Why should I plunk down my heard earned cash to purchase music from misogynistic musicians? As a woman I should always be shocked and it should always give me pause. And I certainly don't want to support it financially. When I told my grlfriends about my revelation, 3 also agreed. But one actually accused me of being a traitor to my race for not supporting black music. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.

I wish there where more people like you... with a head on their shoulders and able to think for themselves.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
"A traitor to your race for not supporting black music?" That's an AWESOME attitude! I mean, you should buy EVERYTHING every black person does, to support your race! Bright friend you got there.

Anyway, I don't even think rap music's lyrics are as bad as they were 10-15 years ago. I just don't know how you can top 2 Live Crew and NWA.

If you don't like the music, don't buy it. Not quite a revelation. And not all rap music has lyrics putting down women.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
And not all rap music has lyrics putting down women.

It still all sounds like cr@p though!
0 Replies

alakritz

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:17 pm
I know that there are very positive rap artists out there but unfortunately, they don't get enough airplay. For every 100 2 Live Crews there is 1 Digable Planets. And that's rather sad. I just felt that I had to take a stand for myself. I certainly wouldn't put up with my husband devaluing me, so why would I pay to hear someone else devaule me?
0 Replies