Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
just make sure you wear little bells on your shoe laces
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

just make sure you wear little bells on your shoe laces

I understand that taking a 2 x 4 to your hiking partner when you spot a bear, is considered bad form. Is that so?
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
we carrySigs and Glocks, we dont bring a "TWOBEE" to a gunfight.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 10:24 pm
@farmerman,
Don't shoot that bear with a pistol. Legend has it that it makes them mad.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2020 10:44 pm
@roger,
Black bears usually give you time to think it over before you should commit any serious gun action. (Look big, talk and sing, have a small group of people,(alone is bad)

The ber's autonomic nervous system is so tuned that they can often be on you before they know theyre dead from several well placed shots. Guns are ALWAYS a very last ditch action, just because of that.

My gun is nicely velcroed into its holster .It sits high, and allows me to "run through the jungle" (Actually a slow diagonal away from any bear action while not looking directly at the thing is the first step in diffusing any political discussions.

Most human/ bear interactions are bcause the human is oblivious to its location in the woods and ones pathway restrictions(wrt the bears direction). Dense undergrowth is not your friend in a trail walk, bears can usually smell you downwind several miles away. You really dont want to just bust into them upwind cause they dont see well. When the wind is on you and you must go up wind. Hike slowly and sing verses of " LOUIE LOUIE".

We have a bear country teacher who trains all our technician and engineers (And geologists) what to act like in the deep woods of the Appalachians. While we dont have many bear attacks, we hear of one or two a year that usually get busted up with just common sense, nothing fancy. I saw in the Pa Game News that last summer several "nuisance" bears had to be moved (2 times they are moved, then if they dont adapt and stay away , they get
harvested").

The bear guys also go around to Game Land properties and State PArks to see how the garbage handling is done so it doesnt turn into a bear " Dunkin Donut shop" and dumpsters arent becoming attractants.

I only had 2 bear "interactions" during my "fracking years" and bothe were diffused by my voice and that of my partner.

Ill be hiking up there a few tims in early 2021 (jan an Feb) and all bears 'll be denned up. The big problems in the N western part of the state in deep winter is coyotes ,and lake edge snow.

Still beats workin behind a computer a bazillion times, and Im gonna be 70 next week. I cant believe it WHAT THE ______HAPPENED????
Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:21 am
@farmerman,
Congratulations to you in advance. You’re truly a survivor.

Speaking of surviving, I just hit 70 on September 20. It’s a bit surprising that I made it that far. Hoping for a safe and healthy Turkeyday to you all.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 10:26 am
@farmerman,
The largest free roaming carnivore over here is the badger.

Only ever seen one alive, plenty of roadkill though.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 02:42 pm
@izzythepush,
naha , unlss youv already cut ties to SCotland, there is a wild cat imilar to our lynx that lives around the Scottish lake country

Felis sylvestris (Cat of the woods)
Quote:
The Scottish wildcat has been present in Britain since the early Holocene, when the British Isles were connected to continental Europe via the Doggerland.[13] It was once common throughout all of Great Britain.[3] In Southern England, it was likely extirpated during the 16th century. By the mid-19th century, its range had declined to west-central Wales and Northumberland due to persecution, and by 1880 to western and northern Scotland. By 1915, it occurred only in northwestern Scotland.[14] Following the decreasing number of gamekeepers after World War I and a re-forestation program, the wildcat population increased again to its current range. Urbanization and industrialization prevented further expansion to the southern parts of Scotland.[3]

Its current distribution includes Cairngorms, the Black Isle, Aberdeenshire, Angus Glens and Ardnamurchan

I got this blurb from Wikipedia
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2020 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
It’s the same size as a domestic cat, badgers are bigger than that.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:29:29