I have a question about addiction recovery

Whicee

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 10:58 am
Would learning about how addiction works on a psychological level increase the chances of an addict overcoming their addiction?

Sturgis

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 05:25 pm
@Whicee,
It might. However it could lead an addict to a false sense of security due to having book knowledge. That In turn could lead to an even greater use of substances and likely dewth.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 06:28 pm
@Whicee,
I think accurate knowledge is always helpful.

Problem is, because drug use is so politicised, you have to be sure you are getting well researched, rigorously reviewed and replicated information.

0 Replies

Maya-Ho

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2020 11:40 pm
@Whicee,
Addiction psychoanalysis and cognitive therapy of addiction is of great importance and one of the main steps in addiction treatment is prevention of recurrence and relapse and rehabilitation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 02:12 am
It is important to know the causes and symptoms of the disease, which can be done by reading.

However:
an avoidance of permanent social and work-related functional limitations as well as a worsening or chronification of the illness, the ability of those affected to perform adequately, actively and self-determined handling of their illness and the preservation of the participation of those affected in social life and successful reintegration into working life despite possible limitations, all that can only be achieved by a therapy.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 07:11 am
If knowledge only made it so ....

In fact, the definition of addiction is “continued use in spite of known consequences.”
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 09:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
I know a man who is an admitted addict. He's got clean for a few years, went back to school and got a license as a CSW (certified social worker) in drug and alcohol addiction counseling.

Even with the books and constantly seeing people who were struggling, he picked up the drugs again.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2020 10:06 pm
@Sturgis,
That's why they call Man the rationalizing animal. It's just so easy to convince yourself.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I have a question about addiction recovery
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:50:30