Amendment of passage

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 06:18 am
She said, "I have said everything that should be said and kept quiet about everything that should be kept quiet about."

I have made some amendments as follows. I wonder if it is an improvement. Thanks!

She said, "I have said everything that should have been said and have kept quiet about everything that should have been kept quiet about."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 238 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 07:12 am
@tanguatlay,
If you are reporting direct speech you are saying what the person actually said. Unless ‘she’ is your own fictional character you have no place changing what was said.

Having said that spoken English is not as formal as written English and the first example sounds natural in conversation. If anything I would get rid of the ‘about’ at the end of the sentence.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 07:38 am
Thanks, izzythepush.

I forgot it was direct speech. That's why I changed the wordings in some parts.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2020 11:09 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

She said, "I have said everything that should be said and kept quiet about everything that should be kept quiet about."

I have made some amendments as follows. I wonder if it is an improvement. Thanks!

She said, "I have said everything that should have been said and have kept quiet about everything that should have been kept quiet about."

She said, "I have said everything that should have been said while keeping silent about everything else"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Amendment of passage
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 07:25:03