The most effective way to use a search engine?

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 12:42 am
How do you effectively use a search engine? What I mean is how do you find EXACTLY what you're looking for?

Advice would be greatly appreciated on this for instance one person told me to end my search with "FAQ" or "tutorial" and it's worked. I've learned other methods like using Boolean Algebra && (double ampersand for "and" I believe), "and/or", etc. If anybody knows of any other tricks such as these please post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 886 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:03 am
On many engines, affixing a plus sign to the beginning of a word returns only links to sites that contain that word, affixing a minus sign returns only links to sites that do not contain that word.
0 Replies

onben

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:34 am
you can do Exact Search by putting a string in quotation marks.

like "the lord of the rings" Very Happy
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:13 am
Cool, thanks for the advice guys keep it coming.

How about if I wanted to look for something that's exact. For instance I want a "flow-motion" picture (that's where every step is shown) how a "jump-stop" (a basketball move) is done. How do you think I'll be able to find that? I'll probably find it before I get a response, and yes I'll "google" first and this is just a rhetorical question whether it gets answered or not.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 03:41 am
IMO, the key is using the most precise terms for what you want and then use the quotation marks to lock-in key phrases.

For example, I wouldn't use "flow-motion picture" as you mention simply because "picture" has to many other possible meanings. Since I'd want to eliminate the possibilities of getting any site covering still photos, drawings, etc.. I'd used "Flow-motion movie" (in the quotes!).

But each search engine has it's own FAQ with lots of tips on how to best tune your serach terms for their site. Use them! Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:40 am
No such thing - by it's very own nature the Net is so amorphous that it can't be tied down like a library catalogue.

My own tip - try the second or third page of your Google results, they may also be of interest.......
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
Cool, and "flow-motion picture" is the name of the type of such movements shown frame-by-frame. I can't completely explain it. Unfortunately, this might explain that concept well. For instance golf... if you want to master Tiger Wood's swing then what the flow-motion picture would do is record each "frame" of his full swing that way you get about 50 pics of one swing. I know it's a lil tough to understand that's what that concept is though.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:47 am
fishin' wrote:
IMO, the key is using the most precise terms for what you want and then use the quotation marks to lock-in key phrases.

For example, I wouldn't use "flow-motion picture" as you mention simply because "picture" has to many other possible meanings. Since I'd want to eliminate the possibilities of getting any site covering still photos, drawings, etc.. I'd used "Flow-motion movie" (in the quotes!).

But each search engine has it's own FAQ with lots of tips on how to best tune your serach terms for their site. Use them! Wink

Cool, thanks what's "IMO" btw?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:05 pm
IMO = in my opinion
0 Replies