Flock of 1,500 sheep leap off cliff!

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:11 pm
I wonder what spooked them? This is an extremely wierd story. Will try to do some more research to come up with additional details.

Turkish shepherds stunned after flock of 1,500 sheep leaps off cliff
at 12:26 on July 8, 2005, EST.

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) - First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported Friday.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher, cushioning the fall, the daily newspaper Aksam reported.

"There's nothing we can do. They're all wasted," Nevzat Bayhan, a member of one of 26 families whose sheep were grazing together in the herd, was quoted as saying by Aksam.

The estimated loss to families in the town of Gevas, located in Van province in eastern Turkey, is close to 100,000 Turkish lira, which is equal to roughly $91,000 Cdn. This is a significant amount of money in a country where average GDP per person is around $2,700 US.

"Every family had an average of 20 sheep," Aksam quoted another villager, Abdullah Hazar as saying. "But now only a few families have sheep left. It's going to be hard for us."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,027 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:20 pm
Turkish villagers curse their 'stupid sheep'

iol.co.za

Ankara - A village in eastern Turkey is cursing its luck after losing 400 sheep, which were killed after falling into a ravine, the Radikal newspaper reported on Friday.

Shepherds from Ikizler were having their breakfast on Thursday, leaving the flock of 1 500 sheep alone.

One of the sheep tried to jump across a 15-metre-deep ravine.

The rest of the flock followed, with the first 400 being killed. The rest had a "soft landing", the Radikal article stated.

The incident represents a huge monatary loss of around 100 000 Turkish lira for the village

Source[/color]
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 02:37 am
Herd mentality. I've seen walrus fall to their deaths off of a cliff playing follow the leader on PBS' Nature.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 03:26 am
I think that there is a lesson in there somewhere for us humans!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Oh, they were trying to jump across a ravine. That makes a little more sense.

Stupid sheep.

Agreed, Phoenix...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:32 am
I was hoping to find a local Turkish newspaper that went into more detail, but, alas, no luck! Besides, if they did, it was all Turkish to me! Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:48 am
Makes me very glad I'm a goat and not a sheep.

see my thread on sheep and goats, I sure wish it had gotten more response. There is definitly a lesson in here.

They were trying to jump a ravine?

Oh - Hey look Fluffy, Ewey and Ramiken just tried the leap and fell to their deaths. I'm gonna try it now!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 12:25 pm
I bet there is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking about all the shepherds getting together (with dogs?) for a leisurely breakfast.

One reason that The Shepherd is such a powerful and pervasive Christian metaphor is that sheep need shepherds.

To the tables down at Mory's
To the place where Louie dwells
To the dear old Temple bar we love so well
Sing the Whiffenpoofs assembled with their glasses raised on high
And the magic of their singing casts its spell

Yes, the magic of their singing of the songs we love so well
"Shall I Wasting" and "Mavourneen" and the rest
We will serenade our Louie while life and voice shall last
Then we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest

We're poor little lambs who have lost our way
Baa, baa, baa
We're little black sheep who have gone astray
Baa, baa, baa

Gentleman songsters off on a spree
Doomed from here to eternity
Lord have mercy on such as we
Baa, baa, baa
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 03:57 pm
Wild sheep didn't need no shepherds.

We have dumbed them down, I say!

We woollied them up - and dumbed them down!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
And fattened them for the table.

Still....

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

'cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

Why do you suppose that people shake their heads about the Old Adam lurking in every human heart and ignore the Old Eve?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
We had a bunch of ewes get their heads stuck in the woven wire fences at the edges of a few pastures. We couldnt see them of course and it wsnt till an AMish boy came riding over to tell us did we even get out there and free them. A few were badly cut up and had to be isolated and treated by clipping their fleeces around their necks , treating the wounds , and giving them all tetanus antitox.
Sheep and turkeys, first thing that got bred out of em was the brain.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Flock of 1,500 sheep leap off cliff!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:09:13