rasmussen

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 06:18 am
@shug23,
Nobody claimed it was, but your system is awful.

It kills poor people through neglect, it’s like a healthcare system imagined by the Third Reich.
shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:11 am
@izzythepush,
Personally, I think rationing, as is done in your country, makes sense. There is a finite amount of money available to spend (a budget), and the dollars should be spent wisely. Here in America we aren't yet ready for that and most people are clueless how much health care costs (since most get their insurance through the government or through work). Since you seem to think health care is 'free' , I suspect most Brits don't realize how much things cost either if you are representative.
Awful ? not really...we have about a 9% uninsured rate (pre-pandemic) and I suspect a large percentage of them are young males who don't need insurance. (ACA forces insurance companies to charge the young population to pay 2-3 times the actuarial value of what they should pay and so they make the logical decision to not buy insurance).
In theory, we have Medicaid as a safety net for the poor but people do slip through the cracks. But, if you are sick and show up in a hospital you are treated whether or not you have insurance; we don't have a bunch of corpses laying around the hospital grounds because they couldn't get treatment
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:13 am
@shug23,
I know it’s not free, education isn’t free either but we don’t have to pay for it because it’s a basic human right.
engineer

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:18 am
@shug23,
Quote:
But, if you are sick and show up in a hospital you are treated whether or not you have insurance

This is only partially true. If you show up at a hospital, you will be stabilized and sent home. You will then be billed for several times more than what an insured patient would be billed since they have insurance companies to negotiate rates. On the next business day, you will receive a call from the hospital asking how you would like to pay and giving you options on how to pay. If you are unable to pay, the hospital will continue to hound you for a while then sell your debt to a debt collector for pennies on the dollar. The debt collector will then pursue you through the courts. Plus, the hospital is not going to provide follow up care. At least you didn't die quickly.
shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:22 am
@engineer,
I agree...The back end is problematic...I'm actually about to find out first hand because my disabled son ended up staying in the hospital due to an emergency and he has no income or assets.....The hospital is likely going to write off the case as a 'charity' - or at least I hope so
shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:24 am
@izzythepush,
education and health care are not basic human rights in the US, in a legal sense, nor is housing or food
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:26 am
@engineer,
That’s what I thought.

If the American system was that good shrug wouldn’t need to lie about it.
shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:30 am
@izzythepush,
not sure what falsehood you think i presented but I'm more than happy to correct a misstatement or error.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:32 am
@shug23,
Glad I don’t live there.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:34 am
@shug23,
As Engineer has already pointed out you were dishonest by omission. You only told half the story.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:47 am
I guess...But then you are guilty of the same , not mentioning rationing, and scandals and all the budgeting problems your system has and is having....

Rationing is the key to success for any system to work and as I already said, our country isn't ready for it yet but it probably is coming whether we like it or not
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:50 am
@shug23,
The problem the NHS has always had is funding. The Tories try to run things on a shoe string which is why waiting lists always go up when the Tories are in power.
shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:58 am
@izzythepush,
It's a tough issue when you have a premature baby, have satisfied your deductible and there is no hope for the baby but you have an unlimited checkbook from the insurance company to pay millions..... As I retired, we had another case where the lady was getting about $150,000 per month for drugs for an incurable disease...She is still getting the drugs 3 years later..

So......what are you supposed to do ?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:25 am
@shug23,
You follow medical advice. If the doctors feel they can help or if it’s only palliative care they respond accordingly.

The problems arrive when parents go against doctor’s advice as was the tragic case with Charlie Gard.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:29 am
@shug23,
Your case of the woman with the incurable disease would get the drugs the doctors think she needs.

Drugs don’t cost as much due to legislation and the NHS’s purchasing power.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:40 am
I suspect that it's like squeezing's a balloon. The drug companies are going to get there ROI...So if Britain negotiates a lower price for drug X from manufacture Y, then manufacture Y will increase its prices on other drugs or, may be more likely, increase the cost for drug X to other purchasers (eg U.S.)....

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:46 am
@shug23,
What has the Republic of Ireland got to do with anything?
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:50 am
lol return on investment
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:58 am
@shug23,
Sorry I’ve never seen it used in that context, ROI has always meant Ireland.

Nobody is saying that people shouldn’t get a reasonable return on their investment, but that’s not the same as profiteering.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2020 11:48 am
@shug23,
Hospitals don't write anything off as charity, they try to collect then sell the debt to collectors. Sorry to hear about your son.

1. Forums
  2. » rasmussen
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.72 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:50:06