Is anyone else watching Cobra Kai?

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 08:01 pm
I just found this show. It is the characters from Karate Kid, 25 years later. Daniel and Johnny (the protagonist and antagonist of the movie) are now in middle age.

Long story short... it twists the story around. Johnny (the villain in Karate Kid) starts restarts Cobra Kai... and uses it to (kind of) do real good in the lives of high school kids by giving them confidence and self-esteem. One of the key scenes has the kids answering "Pain does not exist in this Dojo does it?" with "No, sensei" in a way that is uplifting (in a slightly subversive sort of way). Of course it is not as simple as that, Johnny has some personal demons to overcome. This story has made me laugh in delight on several occasions.

This is my new way to deal with a pandemic. Has anyone else found this show?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 272 • Replies: 6
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:09 pm
Yes. It is a good show. Looking forward to next season coming out soon.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 02:12 am
@McGentrix,
Ive taken an interest in log cabin building on Youtube. I guess Ill try Cobra Kai, but there better be a good "Mr Miagi" replacement.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive taken an interest in log cabin building on Youtube. I guess Ill try Cobra Kai, but there better be a good "Mr Miagi" replacement.

Just watch...... ha ha. the show is a little subversive on that count, and in one rather funny scene Daniel LaRusso is accused of "cultural appropriation". (I don't think that is a spoiler... I was going to mark it).
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
In the show, there are the two very different ways of teaching Karate; Miagi vs. Cobra Kai. In the Karate Kid movie this was portrayed as good versus evil (although in "How I met your mother" Barney refutes this).

The show is smart in that it doesn't portray this as good versus evil. The kids in Cobra Kai (with the harsh "No Mercy" attitude) gain confidence, and grow as human beings. It is no longer "good versus evil"... it is people figuring out life.

To me, that is cool.

SPOILERS BELOW

One of my favorite characters has a deformed lip. When he joins Cobra Kai, the sensei calls him "lip". He is upset by this and tells the sensei to stop calling him that. The sensei says... give me something else to call you then, until you have something else unique about you, you will be "Lip", The kid storms out and quits in tears.

But... he comes back, with a brightly colored "Mohawk" haircut, and he falls into formation. The sensei says "why are you back, Hawk?". The kd replies "I want to learn karate, Sensei", and from then on he is called "Hawk".

It is a touching scene... and the kid blossoms after that point. He has learned not to let other people define him. It's not Miagi, but Hawk got exactly what he needed. Miagi could not have helped him. Hawk is one of the main characters and an important part of the core group.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 04:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh My God! I just finished season two of Cobra Kai. That show lifted up my hopes and then dashed them like so many sheets of ice.

Spoilers Below this Point

The Hawk character I like so much joins the dark side. John Kreese, the original evil sensei of Cobra Kai takes over the Dojo from Johnny and a bunch of students decide to be evil. There is a big fight between Robby and Miguel... Miguel gets on top, and offers mercy. Robby uses this opening to kick him over a balcony. Miguel ends up in a coma.

Everything is bad.... just when things were looking good.

I can't wait until Season 3.

The amazing thing about this show is that...

1) Every part of the story is now at its darkest.
2) Everything hints at redemption... after all the theme of the show seems to be redemption.

I think that the Daniel and Johnny are about to get onto the same side.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2020 04:42 pm
Looking ahead (And of course... SPOILERS)

I read a theory that Johnny is going to take over Myagi-do. After reading this, it seems obvious, Amanda (Daniel's wife) made a big deal that she wants Daniel to leave the Dojo).

I want to see Johnny and Daniel working together.

At some point, I know we are going to see Carmen's evil husband. There is no question they are setting him up as a future adversary. But first, we have Kreese to deal with.

I want to see Johnny and Carmen together. I am not sure if that is what will happen.

I don't know what the hell they are going to do with Ali. There are rumors she is going to come save Miguel... but that seems a little too melodramatic. I assume they will do something a little more interesting with this story. Johnny belongs with Carmen (I hope Ali understands that).

There is another rumor that Tory (who dated Miguel) is Ali's daughter. In the movie Ali introduced herself as "Ali with an i". And Tory introduced herself as "Tory with a y"... it's too clever for there not to be something there.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is anyone else watching Cobra Kai?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 03:48:03