Is buying any vehicles off of Craigslist worth the time, investment and money?

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 11:30 am
Hi. I have never owned by own vehicle. For a long time I never officially learned how to to drive because I had a repressed phobia of driving. I have a learner's permit which I never used and has expired. A family friend tried to teach me how to drive but he was not a good instructor.

A while ago someone I know told me I can buy vehicles cheaply off of Craigslist. I did some invesigating; I can buy a car within $100 to $1000 from my hometown or from any town in my county off the site. I do need my own car.

$100 for a new car is certainly affordable. People I know said buying a car for that price or for a few $100's more may not run.

Would buying a car for $100 or a few $100's more be off of Craigslist worth it?

I don't want to spend too much money on a new car. Of course I would do research on whatever car I wish to buy off of Craigslist first, and read what info is given about the car off of Craigslist before I buy it.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 5,131 • Replies: 21
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 11:41 am
I would prefer to buy a new car for $100 or a few $100's more and save up money for driving lessons and to take the road test at a local driving school and get my driver's license.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 01:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
...he was not a good instructor.

Are you sure?
Your pre-existing phobia could still be lurking in the hollows of your mind.
Plus, some of us, are not suited for driving and it doesn't matter who is teaching. When I made the attempt, it was kind of a mix of comedy and terror. (the instructor felt the terror, not me).
1) tended to forget about the rearview mirror
2) made a turn and crossed 3 or 4 lanes of traffic in record time...I sliced across at an angle.
3) tended to stop in the crosswalk. Well, that's better than the intersection ain't it?

Quote:
I do need a car
that

What is the reason? Many people live without an automobile their entire life.

....and have you looked into things such as insurance, car maintenance, gasoline cost?

At any rate, whether it would be worth it is unknown. You might find a nice vehicle which somebody who doesn't drive is just trying to get rid of.
For example, an elderly person who never did learn to drive and their spouse just passed away.

Or maybe someone who is moving to another country due to a job transfer and won't be able to bring the auto along.

Whichever car you might want, bring it to a reputable mechanic before plunking down your ducats.

Additionally, check the Kelley Blue Book @ www.kbb.com

I hope you have success in this endeavor.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 02:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Firstly, my family friend had me situated in a Hummer instead of a regular car. Hummers are like giant lunchboxes on wheels or tanks. I was not usedto being seated behind the steering wheel in an elevated vehicle.

Secondly, he made me feel very uneasy. If you're learning how to drive for the first time you need to feel relaxed. That helps you function better when you are on the road.

I need a car because there are certain places I can't reach by cab or bus or by walking.

Certain jobs require you to know how to drive. Some require you to bring your own vehicle.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 11:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Stop creating excuses.

I gave you examples of where I ran into learning to drive issues.
I also pointed out additional costs beyond the cost of the vehicle.

But hey, you just go on ragging on the man who was trying to help you in your quest to learn how to drive.

Oh...you might want to get a new learner's permit before trying to buy a car.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 07:32 am
@Sturgis,
What "excuses"? I explained why I want a car.

I had a learner's permit but it expired. I asked my mother if she could supervise me driving. She said she couldn't do it.

I'm not ragging about anything. I know the old man tried to help me but he was not a good teacher. He would not make a good driving instructor.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 07:37 am
@Sturgis,
I know there is a lot of responsibility in keeping up with a car. You need auto insurance. You need to get your car inspected every year.

I know something about maintaining a car from helping my mother with hers. She asked me to change the inspection sticker on it when it needed to be changed. I helped her check the oil, and helped put oil and antifreeze in it. I helped fill the gas tank with gas from a gas drum or from pumps at a gas station.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 07:46 am
@Sturgis,
Why is mileage important?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 07:47 am
@Sturgis,
Is Kelly Blue Books better than Consumer Reports or should I use both when doing research on cars?
Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:28 am
@JGoldman10,
One there’s no downside to using both but as an info resource. I’d NOT recommend buying a car from Craigslist. Morse unscrupulous bottomfeeders post crappy lemons there. Avoid it.

Two: I’d not recommend buying a used car under say.... $2000. Why do I say that? It must past a safety and emissions inspection If it doesn’t, there’s no way you should buy it. You’ll likely be on the hook for costly repairs.

Moreover, a certified mechanic (paid) should examine the car. Otherwise if you buy it you’re on the hook for some fairly expensive repairs when you haven’t even driven the car. Most cars under $2000 need some or all of the following repair work: tires, brakes, exhaust, emissions, tuneup, and/or transmission.

A running car that will pass inspection,
Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:35 am
@Ragman,
... will most likely cost at least $2000. Lastly, if you buy from a private party, you have no warranty or guarantee UNLESS, you liven in a Lemon Law state. Lookup whether or not your state is a Lemon Law state.

It’s pure fantasy to think you can buy a car of any sort for $100. Junk cars that don’t run at all may sell for $250-500.

You may rethink buying a car until you can come up with about $2000, with $500 in reserve for covering repairs, insurance, excise or. registration and title costs. You may want to Rethink this idea.

Wait you’re not even licensed or have any experience driving YET?,
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:52 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

As you have no experience with cars, you must still comprehend the fact that the longer a car is driven, certain things wear out and need maintenance. Normal wear such as Tires wear out (40k miles for a set of 4), breaks (brake pads every 40k miles), Collins system, a/c recharge, tuneups. So a car that cost under $2K- 2500 with over 80 k miles typically is a ticking time bombshell it comes to costly repairs.

Warning: don’t consider this until you have money in reserve or you’ll be paying out money for a car that sits in your driveway that is bleeding your wallet dry.

Wait, you’ve not even driven yet? The cart is before the horse. Get driving lessons and learn to drive first.
Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2020 09:54 am
@Ragman,
JGoldman10 wrote:

As you have no experience with cars, you must still comprehend the fact that the longer a car is driven, certain things wear out and need maintenance. Normal wear such as Tires wear out (40k miles for a set of 4), brakes (brake pads every 40k miles), Cooling system, a/c recharge, tuneups. Not to mention Timing chains or timing belts, So a car that cost under $2K- 2500 with over 80 k miles typically is a ticking time bombshell it comes to costly repairs. This is why people get rid of such cars.

Warning: don’t consider this until you have money in reserve or you’ll be paying out money for a car that sits in your driveway that is bleeding your wallet dry.

Wait, you’ve not even driven yet? The cart is before the horse. Get driving lessons and learn to drive first.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:49 am
@Ragman,
If you read what I said earlier in this thread I said an old man who was a family friend tried to teach me how to drive. He was not a good teacher.

I never officially learned how to do drive because for a long time I had a repressed phobia of driving.

I have a learner's permit that I never used and has expired. My mother said she couldn't help me by supervising me driving.

My maternal grandmother and my paternal grandparents never drove.

Something like 23% of American adults don't know how to drive. I'm not the only one.

When I was younger I didn't want to learn anyway because I didn't see the need for it. Where I was living I could easily get around by walking or by bus or cab.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:11 am
@Ragman,
I asked my mother about buying cars off of Craigslist. She said a car that ranges in price between $100 and $1000 might not run or have issues with running and might need work.
Real Music

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:13 am
@JGoldman10,
I agree with what your mother said.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 04:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
To begin with I read what you wrote. However you either didn’t tread or comprehend my post. There’s nothing I wrote that indicated I hadn’t read your post. Your comprehension is questionable or you simply ignore anyone that doesn’t agree with you. You don’t have a permit and without one ALL BETS are off.

What difference Does it make that your grandmother or other relatives never drove. All that matters is that you overcome your fears get your permit and get your license. Obfuscation and distraction doesn’t help a thing toward your goal.

You shouldn’t go further about buying a car until you get over your driving phobia or fears. Some people , especially those who have set-in fears may need a longer time to overcome them. Professional driving school may help.

Secondly, A Hummer is not an appropriate vehicle to teach anyone new or very little experience driving. It has unusually wide stance and handles way differently than anything you’ll ever drive.

After this issues the affordability part, you have so little cash, where will come up with the money to purchase a car of between $1000 to $2000 and have the ability to pay insurance and fuel and repairs?
Sturgis

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 04:20 pm
@Ragman,
Have you been shaved?

....ooops, I meant SAVED. I am not sure JGoldman pays mind to any unsaved heathens.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 04:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I have a learner's permit...has expired.

Then you have a useless card with your photo on it.
You probably cannot even buy a car or accept a title transfer without an actual license. Not just a permit, but, a valid (current) license. Get that, then and only then, start to look for a car.

With a license, you might even be able to borrow a friend's car for a few hours occasionally
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 04:29 pm
@Sturgis,
True Dat!

my stubble means trouble.
I live in a bubble
But I’m leaving on the double
Before this thread is more rubble.
0 Replies