What is your house cleaning style?

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 06:59 pm
Not including things like doing the dishes.

Putting an entire day aside once a week/month and do everything?

A task or 2 each day?

Have a cleaning service or housekeeper? How often?

Or, like this seasoned veteran below? That house never gets dirty in the first place.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 408 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 08:49 pm
@chai2,
Shovel, but only as needed
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 10:04 pm
Housekeeper every other week - so worth it!
I do my own laundry, change sheets, ironing, etc. but all the regular cleaning is done, incl. refrigerator.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 11:05 pm
A thin layer of dust on the furniture. It acts as a protective cover to avoid scratches or watermarks on the wood surface itself.
(Dusting should be daily but I'm last and get to it only once a week)

Vacuum? Why? The dirt is only going to accumulate again, so it's best not to waste time and energy when my Netflix list needs watching. (Vacuuming is done once, often twice a week. I'm not as fastidious as my aunt was...she would pop up from her seat and pick up any fleck of dirt or dust. She also helped my grandmother stop smoking by grabbing the ashtray and emptying and cleaning it after each tap of the cigarette.)

Floors must be swept and mopped twice a week. And I don't tolerate cobwebs or dust on the baseboards or too of doors.

Dishes when the sink is full or various critters start to croak when eating from them. (not true. dishes washed regularly)

Mirrors and windows and any metal items must be spotless.

All glass items must be spotless.

If I had a silver collection, I'd sell it or give it away. Too much work keeping it clean.

(for the record, I dust lightbulb too)
roger

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 11:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Reminds me of an old Wilso post.

You get up and make the bed. You do dishes, mop the floors, vacuum the carpets, dust the furniture. All that, and six months later, it all needs to be done again. Why bother.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 11:46 pm
@roger,
Make the bed? Not unless I'm expecting any guest/s.

Years ago when I made the bed, the cat I had would go under the covers and then it was back to square one. So, being wise, I stopped the foolishness of bed making. (makes it easier to go back to bed too)
roger

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 01:01 am
@Sturgis,
I'm all in favor of efficiency
knaivete

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 05:11 am
@roger,
When Sturgy is expecting friends in his bedroom we know he's got it made.
Teufel

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 05:17 am
@chai2,

We let the hired cleaning person get on with it, who attends most days.

My wife is a Dr and she is busy; cleaning/housework is not her job. Myself I am not fully well, so it is not my job either.

Hence we pay someone. It is their job.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 07:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Housekeeper every other week - so worth it!
I do my own laundry, change sheets, ironing, etc. but all the regular cleaning is done, incl. refrigerator.

Hi Jane!
Long time no see.

I-orn-ing?

What is this strange word?

Doesn't that have something to do with styling your hair?

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 07:35 pm
@Sturgis,
While I still have furniture to be delivered, and some delivered that I need to assemble, as well as other projects, I'm settling into a calming routine.

After I get up, and check in with my online minions over coffee Very Happy , I've been enjoying an hour, most often an hour and a half of yoga. Don't be impressed. Since I have no need of a dining room, that's my yoga studio. The mats, bolsters and blankets get picked up and stowed after each session, because that's what you do. Plus, cats.

I mentioned in another thread the previous owner left the house professionally cleaned. However, I discovered the wood look tile, which I love, held a multitude of sins. He owned a Jack Russel Terrier. So I've been steam cleaning the tile, areas each day. My priority was to get the living room area done right away, as I thought my furniture was coming today. The water still doesn't run clear even after 2 individual cleanings, but much better. Enough to put the area carpet I got down, waiting for the sectional. I marked my calendar to redo in 3 months. Today I did the kitchen and master bath.

Btw, I bought the rug off of Wayfair. An indoor outdoor one. A sisal type rug.
This means I can hose it down in the back yard.

I have started with a clean drawing board and am making the most of it. If there's one thing I'm not, is a good cleaner of dirty things. I can however, keep things clean until the cows come home.
Before arriving, I bought an arsenal of dust mops, dusters, micro cloths. Then I realized how high the ceiling were, even higher in the LR w/ a tray ceiling, and ordered a long pole with all the necessary attachments. They are all on their proper hooks in the laundry room.

I could never wait 2 or more months to clean blinds. Since I've been here, every couple days I take ten minutes to go around the entire paremeter of blinds, ceilings, top of cabinets and fridge.
Toilet gets cleaned daily, missing a day here and there.
Shower, including the floor, gets squeegeed down Every Single Shower. No exceptions.
In fact, I switched to both a shampoo and a body wash that contain no sulfates/no soap.
No soap, no soap buildup.
I'm trying to keep up with everything like that. If I'm in a room, I tidy it before I leave it.

So far, so good.

I have found it to be meditative.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 10:55 pm
@knaivete,
Okay, that gave me a partial smile....
knaivete

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 11:04 pm
@Sturgis,
It gave me one too.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is your house cleaning style?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:29:14