Parents get probation; hiring stripper for 16-year-old son

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
This comes out of the "What were they thinking?" file!

Nashville parents get probation for hiring stripper for 16-year-old son
at 0:48 on July 8, 2005, EST.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A couple pleaded guilty Thursday to hiring a stripper for their son's 16th birthday party and were sentenced to two years probation.

Landon and Anette Pharris, who were charged with contributing the delinquency of a minor, also were ordered to take parenting classes. The parents hired the stripper to perform at a September party attended by about a dozen young people. Cassandra Park, 29, who police say used the stage name Sassy, danced for a few hours before partygoers took up a collection and paid her $150 US more to fully disrobe, Anette Pharris said.

The stripper and the man she was with were also granted probation.

Police were tipped off to the party by a photo developer at a drug store who saw pictures of the occasion.

Pharris said after being arrested that she tried to do something special for her son.

"We even had grandpa there," she said.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:57 am
I think that the parents showed awful judgement, but I don't think that the police should have gotten involved. I am curious as to what law was broken.

The term, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor", is so broad, as to be meaningless. How were the teens "delinquent"? Were they drinking? Smoking pot? Raising hell in the neighborhood? It worries me that the government is getting involved in areas where they need to butt out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:01 am
I pretty much agree. I thought this was funny -- loved that they took up collection, but really loved , "We even had grandpa there." Hee hee hee..!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:34 am
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:37 am
My sixteen year old son wishes loudly that he had "cool" parents like these.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
Of course he does!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:04 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The term, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor", is so broad, as to be meaningless. How were the teens "delinquent"? Were they drinking? Smoking pot? Raising hell in the neighborhood? It worries me that the government is getting involved in areas where they need to butt out.

There should be a law against parental stupidity. Rolling Eyes

Yes, the term, delinquency of a minor is silly. Perhaps it should changed for something else.

I might be tending to agree with you, but who looks after the kids if the parents (not necessarily in this case, but I'll reserve judgement on that) are negligent, or are just not doing their job as parents should be in their role? I certainly don't disagree with them being sentenced to "parenting classes".

And then we wonder why kids go wrong....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:19 pm
I wonder what he get's for his 18-year-old birthday Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:28 pm
See, Now Im unclear about this.
Is this somehow wrong?
Whatdya mean stupidity?

I know parents whove paid for a prostitute for their sons 16th birthday and the only thing was, they didnt invite the entire neighborhood, thats all.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:47 pm
The new 'farmerman' speaks.....

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/688/4405759.15e380.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:15 am
Quote:
I might be tending to agree with you, but who looks after the kids if the parents (not necessarily in this case, but I'll reserve judgement on that) are negligent, or are just not doing their job as parents should be in their role? I certainly don't disagree with them being sentenced to "parenting classes".

Reyn- What really scares me is that I think we are at the beginning of a slippery slope. Different parents have varied ideas of morality and appropriateness. I may not agree with what the parents did, but I certainly don't think that hiring a stripper was something that required judicial action. I am disturbed that the law even thought that it was in their purview to to become involved in the incident.

The article did not say, but I am assuming that all this happened in the parents' home. I become frightened when I think that all a neighbor has to do is complain of something that they consider out of line, and the police comes knocking on the door.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Reyn- What really scares me is that I think we are at the beginning of a slippery slope. Different parents have varied ideas of morality and appropriateness. I may not agree with what the parents did, but I certainly don't think that hiring a stripper was something that required judicial action. I am disturbed that the law even thought that it was in their purview to to become involved in the incident.

The article did not say, but I am assuming that all this happened in the parents' home. I become frightened when I think that all a neighbor has to do is complain of something that they consider out of line, and the police comes knocking on the door.

I suppose there's something to what you say, but where is the line drawn as to what is appropriate?

I'm not one for heavy-handedness either, but just sometimes there needs to be some kind of mechanism that gives parents a bit of a "kick up the butt", if you know what I mean. How this would work needs a lot of thought.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Parents get probation; hiring stripper for 16-year-old son
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:14:25