Distance To the Moon

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 11:52 pm

At exactly the same time, Tom and Alice measured the angle of elevation to the moon while standing exactly 300 km apart. The angle of elevation to the moon for Tom was 49.8974°, and the angle of elevation to
the moon for Alice was 49.9312°. See the figure. To the nearest 1000 km, how far was the moon from Earth when the
measurement was obtained?

Having trouble setting up the law of sines here.

engineer

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 06:30 am
@blueridge,
You have a triangle with the points being Tom, Alice and the Moon. You are given all three angles with a little math and the distance from Tom to Alice. Tom's angle is 49.8974°. Alice's angle is 180-49.9312°. The Moon's angle is the difference between Alice's and Tom's measurement.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 06:39 am
@blueridge,
Quote:
Having trouble

You're having trouble, most of us are having kittens in a sack.

If I squint it looks like that tiny angle opposite the 300 is equal to the big angle (180- Alice) opposite where at length that Tom cat is miaowing at the moon.

Two months you say.
Tryagain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:37 am
@solipsister,
Long time no sea Slippy, I hope you are doing swimmingly well.

Is 'most of us are having kittens in a sack.' Hillbilly talk for pussy in a hammock?
What are ewe angling after!

I never did say two months; what I sed wos, don't spell part backwards - Its a trap!
solipsister

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 08:56 pm
@Tryagain,
Quote:
Long time no sea Slippy, I hope you are doing swimmingly well.

Thank you young sir, I tryst you're well too.

Just checked and "having kittens in a sack" doesn't google so that's another mixed metaphor neologism crown for moi.

The OP mentioned elsewhere that he'd give this site a two month trial, and I can only hope with that barrier he doesn't inadvertently stumble in the steeplechase of your expansive hors d'oeuvre oeuvre.

Tryagain

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:23 pm
@solipsister,
Your equestrian nuance was a smorgasbord of eloquent delight and the music the pièce de résistance - but I didn't know you were French!

I thought U R from Greece.
https://youtu.be/7oKPYe53h78
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Distance To the Moon
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 06:24:07