For the Asians here: am I unwelcome in the Asian community because I'm white passing?

Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:35 am
I'm half Asian but white passing and I'm wondering if people like me are looked down on because we'll never experience racism or oppression because we don't look Asian. My dad is Asian and he's never shown me anything but love but I'm worried that he secretly resents me because I don't look like him and I'll never experience the same things he does. I want to claim this as my community more than anything but I don't think I can. What's your opinion on white passing half-Asians? Should they not be embraced in the community? If your child were white passing, how would you feel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 778 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

InfraBlue

Wed 5 Aug, 2020 10:07 am
@prouddaughter,
Have you experienced discrimination?
BillRM

Wed 5 Aug, 2020 10:23 am
@prouddaughter,
My opinion is doing so or feeling the need to do so is sad and that is the same as half blacks who pass as whites.

In either case your background that you share with the world is up to you an no one else.

Footnote I have had two lovely step daughters who was half and half both earn master degrees but I have no clue what they put on their forms concerning race.

They both end up marrying white men if that mean anything.
0 Replies

prouddaughter

Wed 5 Aug, 2020 11:20 am
@InfraBlue,
In the Asian community? No, but I haven't exactly tried to integrate myself into any Asian social circles for fear of feeling unwelcome or being seen as not like them because I don't look Asian
InfraBlue

Wed 5 Aug, 2020 06:43 pm
@prouddaughter,
If your dad is involved with the Asian community in your area, ask him if you can accompany him, and meet the people he knows and their kids.
0 Replies