Suitor sets himself on fire to propose to his girlfriend

Reyn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:50 pm
The stupid things people do! It would have been all the same if the stunt went wrong and he had been burned to a crisp. Rolling Eyes

Hot to trot Oregon suitor turns self into hunk of burning love to propose
at 19:07 on July 6, 2005, EST.

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) - To prove his love, a 38-year-old man set himself on fire before going down on one knee and asking his girlfriend to marry him.

About 100 people gathered to watch Todd Grannis perform the flaming stunt Monday, which involved wearing a cape soaked in gasoline.

Grannis climbed up a three-metre-high scaffold, was set on fire and then plunged into a swimming pool, dousing the blaze. Emerging unscathed, he went down on one knee and proposed, as a friend standing nearby slipped him the engagement ring.

"Honey, you make me hot," he told his sweetheart, Malissa Kusiek.

"I hope I'm getting the point across that I'm on fire for you."

Kusiek, who has been dating Grannis for several years, said "yes" but added she was a little angry because of the danger.

"At first I was mad, because I thought: 'He's not a stuntman,"' Kusiek said.

"Then, of course, the tears started flowing. Of course I said yes."

"I was so thrilled."

Grannis said he came up with the stunt through the help of his friend, professional stuntman Eric Barkey.

Barkey pulled out a photo of himself on fire and said: "You could do that," Grannis said.

Grannis met Kusiek, the owner of a local hair salon, when she cut his hair.

"I kept telling her sometime before I'm 50," said Grannis, who co-owns an Internet wholesale company.

"She wasn't expecting it. She had no clue."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 944 • Replies: 17
No top replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:37 am
OMG...

If he had died, she would have become a widow without even becoming a wife. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I would just accept a simple bend down on the knee with a ring and maybe a rose. I don't want smoke in my nostrils!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:47 am
Personally, I don't think a Showboater is a good risk for a long, happy marriage.

He invited 100 people to witness his loving, tender proposal?

And just who cleaned up the mess he left in the swimming pool?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:35 pm
Ohhh yeah....Hot Todd(y) is just the type of man I'd be looking to marry.
Or not. Crazy bastid. Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:36 pm
I would have been like GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME YOU PSYCHO! I wouldn't want to catch fire...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:09 pm
This is another example of treating a proposal of marriage as a media event as opposed to suggesting a lifetime contract.

Run, girl. Run.

(...and let him chase you clad in flames).
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 05:58 pm
I like that, Noddy. Smile You brought a smile to my face on an otherwise somewhat somber day. Thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:18 pm
Lady J--

Thanks for the kind words.

Remember, this day is nearly over and you'll never have to live through it again.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

lildorys

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:21 pm
I'm telling you. People will do anything to get attention.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:43 pm
Some are desperate for their 15 minutes of fame.....
0 Replies

Mirriwinni

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 01:07 am
...no staid old wedding songs for these folk, I bet.

Was it Bruce Springsteen who sang ""I'm On Fire""..?
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:58 am
Hahaha. I know I'm a little late replying to this... but that just cracks me up. Not so much the danger- seeing that he was in a pool very soon after he was ablaze... just the fact that he was prepared to go that far to be able to use the phrase "I'm hot for you" or whatever it was... Oh dear... hahaha. Reminds me a little of my friend whos hairspray caught on fire in the middle of her mother's wedding... She was fine... and didn't even know until people started screaming and hitting her over the head. :p
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:51 am
Re: Suitor sets himself on fire to propose to his girlfriend
Reyn wrote:
"At first I was mad, because I thought: 'He's not a stuntman,"' Kusiek said.

Grannis said he came up with the stunt through the help of his friend, professional stuntman Eric Barkey.

Barkey pulled out a photo of himself on fire and said: "You could do that," Grannis said.

On TV, when you see people doing crazy stuff, the warning is always that then stunt was performed by professionals OR under the supervision of professionals. It's only logical to assume that he was fine the whole time and she shouldn't have been worried, at least according to TV logic (which admittedly isn't always very good logic).
Mintcake wrote:
Reminds me a little of my friend whos hairspray caught on fire in the middle of her mother's wedding... She was fine... and didn't even know until people started screaming and hitting her over the head. :p

Same thing happened once to an alter boy at my church.
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:32 am
Hahaha. Hey again smog. Following me around are we?! All good. Just kidding. Good to see you here.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:37 am
The only reason I came back was to post in the Relationships & Marriage forum! Something about this section just makes me all type-y.
0 Replies

locu

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:34 am
Hey Guys,

I had the unique opportunity to be at the 4th of July party with the surprise proposal! Drunk I'm certainly amazed at the negative comments this unique method of proposing has created, but of course everyone has their own opinion.. and as a general trait of history, uniqueness if often criticized. =) Just be assured, as I was and saw by being there:

a) The media was not there and did not even know about it. It was not a publicity stunt and both Todd and Malissa were equally surprised at how widespread the story got. It grew on it's own momentum. The media found out about it afterwards by word of mouth and not from Todd or Malissa. Someone there with a video camera gave them the footage for the news.

b) It was completely safe. The stuntman who orchistrated the event had done the stunt hundreds of times. There was no (or at least, very very little) danger to Todd or anyone in the audience.

c) This was one of the funnest 4th of July parties I've been to in a long time!!

If your interested in more information, there's a website too http://www.hotproposal.com

- Nate
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:51 am
locu wrote:
It was completely safe. The stuntman who orchistrated the event had done the stunt hundreds of times. There was no (or at least, very very little) danger to Todd or anyone in the audience.

I win! And thanks for making everything clearer for us, Nate. I actually wish we could have first-hand witnesses for everything that we end up discussing, since it would create much more productive understanding. Cheers, and welcome to A2K! Post elsewhere, have fun, join in, etc, etc!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 05:36 pm
Well after what locu said...I can only think of the phrase all's well that ends well. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Suitor sets himself on fire to propose to his girlfriend
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:22:13