Question for Democrats

shug23

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 02:51 pm
Why do you want corporations to pay higher tax rates ? The corporation is not a person; it will simply pass any tax increase on to the employees in terms of lower wages or to the consumer in terms of higher prices. I can tell you that's what insurance companies do whenever the states or cities introduce premium taxes.; it is a pass-thru. I have seriously never understood the Democratic position on corporate tax rates and look forward to an intelligent reply . I'm not looking to debate, just understand where you are coming from and why .

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:09 pm
@shug23,
Because Democrats do not understand money or capitalism.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:46 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

Really, what a broad brush stroke you use.

So no Democrats understand money or capitalism and let me guess only Republicans do.

Jesus Christ can we ever get beyond this ****.

Just as a matter of interest wasn't it Clinton a Democrat who balanced the budget and Bush a Republican who spent a trillion on a false war.
FACT.
shug23

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:56 pm
can you please answer the original question and don't get distracted. I'm not looking for insults and arguments and tangents by either side, if such a thing is possible here
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:07 pm
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

Why do you want corporations to pay higher tax rates ? The corporation is not a person; it will simply pass any tax increase on to the employees in terms of lower wages or to the consumer in terms of higher prices. I can tell you that's what insurance companies do whenever the states or cities introduce premium taxes.; it is a pass-thru. I have seriously never understood the Democratic position on corporate tax rates and look forward to an intelligent reply . I'm not looking to debate, just understand where you are coming from and why .

In many legal contexts, the corporation is "a person," but this isn't relevant in regard to tax increases. Individual owners can and do pass their tax increases to their employees and consumers.

So, having a higher direct tax burden, or paying for the corporations' through lower wages or higher prices, either way, the employees and consumers get screwed. The difference is, the level of the process at which they are getting screwed, and which level one regards as less bad.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:32 pm
@shug23,
1. I think the anti-corporate politics of the political left is often ridiculous

2. We need to formulate a tax policy that works for economy. (This is true no matter what your political stance).

3. Within that is the political discussion about what should be the goals of economic policy.

To me these are three separate issues. Every tax policy decision (including cutting taxes) is going to impact the economy (and have winners and losers).

I don't believe there is any tax policy that is "fair". We have to figure out our values as a society and then make economic policy that makes sense.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
I will throw this out there....

I believe that taxing income is ridiculous. I want a progressive tax system (people with more wealth should pay a greater percentage in taxes)... But basing this on income has a bad effect.

It disincentivizes work. That doesn't make sense to me under any political system.
shug23

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 05:25 pm
I'm honestly still looking for a Democrat.....Biden's position is to raise the corporate tax rate and that is seemingly popular on the left. There must be some informed Democrat who can explain the thought behind why Biden's approach is a good idea to him/her
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 06:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh look Max, someone else who thinks you’re not a Democrat.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 06:20 pm
Being a Democrat is a legal term. It means being registered with the Democratic party in your state.

I am factually a Democrat. I have also worked on Democratic campaigns and I vote consistently for Democrats in elections. But the only requirement of being a Democrat is registering as a Democrat. And I have done that.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
I used to be a liberal back when being liberal meant believing in free speech and civil rights. I suppose it could be argued that I am no longer a liberal.... but it wasn't me who changed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 09:07 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:

So no Democrats understand money or capitalism and let me guess only Republicans do.

Glad to see you agree.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 09:22 pm
@McGentrix,
BTW, In the USSC decison called " Citizen's United" It clarly states that Corporations ARE PERSONS able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights.

PS Conservative GOPers only "think" they have a clue in all of that which they opine. A significant number cant even balance their household budgets.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 09:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

BTW, In the USSC decison called " Citizen's United" It clarly states that Corporations ARE PERSONS able to exercise their 1st Amendment Rights.

PS Conservative GOPers only "think" they have a clue in all of that which they opine. A significant number cant even balance their household budgets.

After some of your recent posts, I can no longer place the weight on your posts that I once did. Sorry.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 10:03 pm
@McGentrix,
You disagree with mypost on FEC v Citizens United, or my opinion that at least as many conservatives cant manage their own economic affairs as anyone else.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 04:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Being a Democrat is a legal term. It means being registered with the Democratic party in your state.

I’m glad I don’t live in a country where you have to declare your political affiliations to the government.

I always suspected you were a registered something.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 06:10 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:

McG Wrote

Quote:
Glad to see you agree.

I've no doubt we could agree on a lot of things but not this I'm sorry to say.

It's like you're trying to dehumanise Democrats, portraying them as sub-human.
And you're mild compared to some of the other vitriolic contributors we get around here.

The hatred coming from Republicans towards Democrats their so called fellow Americans is unbelievable and usually comes with an underlying threat of violence.

I think the days of the American empire are coming to an end and like most empires the destruction comes from within.
My worry is when it all falls apart the collateral damage it'll do to the rest of us.
Already the dictators of the world are emboldened by Trumps right wing ethos.

I see you're brother in arms comrade Shitski is attacking homosexuals now.
Is there anybody safe from right wing hatred????
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 06:23 am
Since no one else is answering the question... I will take it.

1. Taxes have to come from somewhere (if you are aguing that taxes should be lower, that is a different argument).

2. Shug suggests that these taxes are passed down to employees and customers. This is irrelevant since the alternative is to tax employees and customers directly.

3. Taxing corporations may have the effect of reducing wealth disparity. Most people make around $50,000. Some make $200,000. But the fact that corporate salaries can top millions seems undesirable to many people including economists. One sign of a healthy efficient economy is a lower gap between the very rich, and the poor.

4. As I have already said, the income tax is particularly stupid. A corporate tax will raise the same money with penalizing normal employees for working .
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 06:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

As I have already said, the income tax is particularly stupid.

Income tax is the most progressive form of tax going, people on low incomes often pay little or no tax and a sliding scale means those on top incomes pay their fair share.

That’s why Tory governments always cut income tax and raise VAT which is the most backward form of taxation going.

It’s not income tax that’s the problem it’s the low rates on capital investments enjoyed by wealthy individuals like Mitt Romney.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 07:56 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I've no doubt we could agree on a lot of things but not this I'm sorry to say.

I'd like to think so, but my comment was satirical as you made it clear that you did not agree with my brief statement.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
It's like you're trying to dehumanise Democrats, portraying them as sub-human.
And you're mild compared to some of the other vitriolic contributors we get around here.

The hatred coming from Republicans towards Democrats their so called fellow Americans is unbelievable and usually comes with an underlying threat of violence.

Dehumanize? No. I am trying to make them appear dumb. I don't think you are top of what is happening in America though. The right is not protesting and rioting in the streets destroying businesses and threatening to harm anyone that disagrees with them. The threat of violence and ACTUAL violence is most certainly coming from the left in America right now. The media backs that violence now and plays it down. It would be WW3 if the right tried anything similar to what the left is doing now.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
I think the days of the American empire are coming to an end and like most empires the destruction comes from within.
My worry is when it all falls apart the collateral damage it'll do to the rest of us.
Already the dictators of the world are emboldened by Trumps right wing ethos.

I disagree. It is the sad state of global affairs that despite what is happening now, America remains the greatest country in the world. There is no other country that could deal with the **** happening here now and be able to come out of it just a good as it was.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
I see you're brother in arms comrade Shitski is attacking homosexuals now.
Is there anybody safe from right wing hatred????

Who is comrade Shitski? Please don't use such a broad brush if you don't wish to be painted with the same brush.

1. Forums
  2. » Question for Democrats
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:38:50