What is a "Stan"?

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 07:49 pm
I think I have an idea, but want clarification.

Context: "That guy over there is just a Stan."

I have heard it a couple times recently. If you think you know, please let us all know.

roger

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 07:54 pm
@McGentrix,
I have never heard it used that way, so I'm as clueless as anyone.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 07:57 pm

google sez --

According to Urban Dictionary, "Stan" is a portmanteau of the words "stalker" and "fan,"
and refers to someone who is overly obsessed with a celebrity...
McGentrix

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 08:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
I could have googled it... I am hoping someone from the younger generation can provide some context and history.

I think it derives from the Eminem song "Stan" about an obsessed fan, so that would fit UD.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 08:12 pm
@McGentrix,

you might have a long wait on your hands... not too many youngin's around these days...
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 06:23 am
@McGentrix,
Myself I am around age 60. It seems almost impossible to not appear like some old dusty wax work long forgotten on the back burner at times ..... Stan as a vernacular colloquialism? No idea. Care less.

Eminem, yes. 'Stan' the song? Yes.

Nowadays one appears to see much new 'slang' erupting on forums, social media and the supposed 'internet news' ... 'Karen' springs readily to mind. Plus almost endless use of ANOK ..... Acronyms No One Knows ... Because the poster has that second made it up ... like myself. Except I explain it, 'they' however do not.

The problem this all raises is 'communication' or rather the lack of it ... It is another way in which the singularity of the individual that the internet has fostered and indeed promoted is increased. No doubt some people, or maybe many, fret about their 'not understanding' some garbage they see in a post such is the apparent lack of self belief in the younger generations ... When actually one is dealing with utter fools in the first place. Who knew functional illiteracy was quite so popular.

Of course slang by it's very nature always changes, but the rate at which it now comes and goes defies the majority ever learning what it supposedly represents.

Whilst as a family we do not use very much slang, there are terms which I can use that my parents and their parents used, plus my adult children still occasionally use ..... Somehow by the end of 2021, I doubt anyone will know what a 'Karen' was supposed to mean. Because it is pointless, facile, tittle tattle.

I'll get me coat
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 06:34 am
At this point, Stan is more like a super-fan. K-pop Stans aren't stalkers (at least, most of them aren't unless you count breathlessly waiting for every tidbit and Googling for more during their leisure time as stalking).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is a "Stan"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:53:52