What's your diet?

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:09 pm
I am always dieting, I cut out this and cut out that.

So what is your diet?

What do you eat and not eat and why?

How is your diet beneficial?

Currently, I am on a soup diet, I make soups and use herbs I grew on my apartment balcony.

I am on an anti-cancer diet to prevent ever getting it. A lot of things cause cancer but a lot of things don't. I find soups are healthy as long as I don't try to eat them while they are too piping hot. I don't think really hot food is good for the stomach.

How are you maintaining a healthy diet? What is your philosophy?

All opinions are welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 771 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 03:33 pm
I eat when hungry. Also when it's been a while since my last feeding... I mean meal. For the most part my metabolic functions have kept my weight in check. That, was a genetic gift from my father. Seeing as how he was adopted, there's no family history there to examine and find if this was common for his ancestors.

As said, for the most part, my weight has been proper. Even when I ate nearly insane amounts of food. The few times that my weight has gone to a less than ideal area, I've had to struggle at disposing of the excess weight.

Methods used: the popular soup diet. After preparing the soup, I separated the liquid from the solids. The liquid could and would be used for a later time, as flavoring.

The salad diet: a tasty treat and with so many low calorie ingredients, it's a way to eat extra and be happy. No salad dressing is required; although, I often put a bit of vinegar (several types to select from).

Snack food includes carrots (raw), green beans (blanched, cooled), iceberg lettuce (on its own, quite refreshing in the summer... which is the time of year my weight gains have happened).

I went to low fat milk a long time ago, have not added sugar to anything in years. Don't even have any at home. If sweetener is wanted (for my occasional refrigeratored coffee ((no ice, I despise ice...I said ice, not ice cream)), it is a blend of coffee and 2% fat milk and sweetener), I use Equal or the store brand equivalent.
(I wish that the U.S. would bring back liquid cyclamate...it was an early addiction for me)

I also will not eat bread when trying to shed pounds. (the body weight, not the British currency)

An interesting possible oddity for me, is to consume absurd amounts of "bad" food. Two pounds of peanut M&Ms or a cake meant to serve 8. My body rejects those hideous violations. The same does not apply to ice cream.

My cholesterol levels are low. So low, my doctor asked if I ever consume any fat bearing food. That would be a genetic predisposition from my mother. She was quite overweight, however she had a low cholesterol... although it was not particularly of value, since her arterial network became clogged and she had a triple or quadruple bypass surgery (it's been decades so I don't rightly recall how many ple parts there were).

I've known several people who have tried eating anti-cancer diets. They of course did die from cancer. Different types of cancer, but, the food regimen was a failure. Every person is different. I however don't subscribe to any particular in that area.

Bottom line, just try to eat a balanced healthy way.

Another weight loss method...walking. Instead of driving or riding in some sort of conveyance, walk. It's also good to clear the mind.

Speak with your medical advisor for whatever you want to try.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 09:47 pm
@Sturgis,
That is very good regimen Sturgis, perhaps you have the healthiest diet I have encountered in a person so far.

Thanks for including your diet here in this discussion. Smile

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 10:48 am
@TheCobbler,
Amygdalin, Nettles and Herb Robert

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:50 am
I have gotten off my "starvation diet". It was giving me headaches and leg cramps...

I am now on a no sugar diet. (who knew sugar causes cancer?)
No baked carbs. (no acrylamide)
No peanuts (aflatoxins)

The only baked carbs I allow is occasionally unbleached enriched white bread. (multi grain and wheat have more acrylamide)

I check to buy the bread that has the lightest color crust meaning it was baked the shortest amount of time.

I have been almost three months without my normal sugar binging. The weight has slowly come off without any starving or major caloric reduction.

The liver turns corn syrup directly into fat. (it turns anything into fat it does no know what to do with.)

I have had big cravings for sugar and almost gave in but was able to ward them off just barely though. Had my shoes on and backpack and was ready to go to the store to buy gum drops and then simply stopped and kicked my shoes off and so far so good. I have had a couple huge sugar cravings warded them off each time. They are getting less frequent and I don't drink soda, douse my decaf coffee with it or drink alcohol.

I allow myself one cup of decaf coffee a month due to acrylamide levels in coffee.

I also take enzymes and probiotics with my food, calcium w/D3, biotin, a multivitamin, and vitamin c.

I am allowed fruit but unsweetened.

I do occasionally allow myself a few (very small portion) corn tortillas.
They have low levels or acrylamide and aflatoxins.

I NEVER eat tuna because of the high levels of mercury and I only eat rice no more than once a month or less due to the arsenic in rice.

I do not fry vegetables due to the acrylamide. That includes onions, mushrooms, potatoes etc... I boil them instead and make soups.

I use fresh herbs from my balcony. And I am careful to never over salt my food.

I do not use my toaster oven for anything with corn meal on it or flour and I only use my oven for meats and casseroles.
I make sure that pasta casseroles lasagna, etc... are always covered with a layer of liquid or cheese so the pasta does not brown only the cheese.

No more cancer causing foods. I am looking into pesticides and foods that contain high levels of them and preservatives and food dyes... Some dyes are hard to avoid like the ones in beef. And I am sure Trump undid the Obama law that forbid meat companies from gassing chicken and turkey breast with arsenic to make them pink.

I do not have any cancer but it is only a matter of time before these things make it so.

Better to prevent it than cure it after the fact.

And quitting sugar has had the added benefit of me losing my extra weight. My weight gain was all due to sugar, once I quit sugar my weight began to reduce on its own and I feel and look great.

No cakes, ice cream and candy. Nothing sweetened and no artificial sweeteners.

I eat when I am hungry and still I am losing weight. I take no medications so my liver is not taxed because of that either.

Sugar was the reason why I was fat and sickly.

And getting rid of the other toxins assures my body will remain healthy.

No more food packets and processed meats. No hot dogs and ground up whatever, no ham or anything with nitrates.

No California black olives (they are high in acrylamide)

Well, If I think of anything else I will post it here.

Just healthy soups and boiled pasta.

Tomatoes in jars (no PCBs).

I do allow white unbleached flour bread but I am trying to limit that also. I do allow nuts (other than peanuts) and surprisingly they have not caused weight gain. No breakfast cereal. Dried oats are good, no acrylamide there. Granola is not good, baked oats are bad.

My anti cancer diet has turned into a big weight loss diet too as a nice side effect.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:47 am
99% vegetarian. The 1% keeps me from being fanatical.
shug23

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 03:23 am
ok. Here is the 'easiest' diet that my wife and I have been doing since February 2019..I went from a tad over 200 to 175 and she has gone from about 145 to 125.

We fast every Monday and Thursday. That means no, zero, nada calories...I cheat and have two cups of coffee in the morning with cream or Cremora; she doesn't cheat. The first day(s) are tough but after a while, it's just a mindset.

On eating days , I just eat whatever I want to. If it's past midnight after a fasting day, I might get up and have a small snack .

My Aunt who has struggled for years getting on and off diets has recently followed our lead, and now four weeks later has lost 10 pounds...( expect to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week)

It is not really easy, especially the first couple days. But you get used to it and on fast days it becomes mental...it is easy in the sense on non-fast days I don't have to think about what to eat and what not too eat. Potato chips and ice cream; yum!

But, I would add, it's not a diet - it is now just a lifestyle......good luck
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 04:00 am
@shug23,
I tried the intermittent fasting and got leg cramps they would set in the moment I would wake up in the morning and they abruptly put an end to that diet. Once off it I gained what I lost right back.

It took a long time before the leg cramps set in but now if I fast even a day I get them and they are VERY painful.

With quitting all sugar it was hard but not as hard as fasting and there has been no side effects at all so far. But I quit all sugar except sugar in fruit naturally occurring and not too much fruit.

After about 6 or 7 hours of fasting I would also always get a headache too. It was too rough on my body.

After years of trying the fasting method this new diet is working and other than what I listed I can eat as much as I like (within reason).

The fasting diet may work for a while but your body will resist in a big way eventually. Fasting a little during the day is fine but a whole day and night is harmful over a long period of time. You will feel better losing weight from fasting but the side effects will unfortunately soon cause a crash.

It can take years for your muscles to recover from a constant fasting diet.

Just my humble opinion from personal experience. I love the way fasting would make me feel but the side effects eventually became unbearable and counterproductive to my overall health.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 04:03 am
@coluber2001,
I may consider trying the vegetarian route. I am on that path and it is already more about eating healthy than eating what I like.

Thanks Coluber for your input!
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 07:46 am
@TheCobbler,
I'll consider your comments and do some research. We both exercise regularly...eg. 2 hour bike rides daily. I am 65 and she is 57 and after year and a half it works for us. We tried to go with a dinner Thursday nights and it just opened the floodgates to munch all night.....SO Thanksgiving or a special occasion we take a break.
I would agree with the cobbler's sentiment though...if whatever you are doing is making you sick, try something else
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 04:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
My wife and I are vegetarians and have been for decades. My wife tried Veganism for some years but found it to be wholly impractical if you have a life outside of one's own home.

We are vegetarian because we would never kill an animal to eat ourselves, so we do not buy into that hypocrisy. We eat a product called Quorn, we eat Mock Duck and occasionally Tofu ... Meat replicating products do not offend us, killing sentient beings to eat ... that most certainly does.

That is our only motivation as such. Myself I am insulin dependent Type 2, so I avoid eating sugar and so forth. My wife has migraines and so avoids some foods such as chocolate.

What is interesting is that my wife is a PhD Dr and presents at conferences. Or used to before the pandemic, now it is all via Zoom or the somewhat less useful MS Teams of course. However previously at those academic only conferences, around 80% of the participants were identified as being either vegetarian or vegan.

There is seemingly a misconstrued viewpoint in the general public that academics are somehow stupid (???), have no common sense (sense is definitely not common), that they wear fuddy duddy clothing, hug trees and have no clue what 'life is' ... No, academics definitely like big houses, superb holidays, expensive cars, clothes, watches and generally have a fantastic time as they are very well paid indeed. My wife is a Dr Psychology & Criminology, but this afternoon stripped down and repaired this PC entirely on her own ... She can also fit shelves, fix washing machines and do so many other things along with her career.

But it appears on the subject of dietary intake, anecdotally at least, that the vast majority of European academics do not eat meat.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2020 04:44 am
I maintain a ketogenic diet for the most part. Although I do miss carby foods, it’s been easy for me to forgo them. What’s more challenging is keeping the proteins down. After muscle and tissue maintenance, the body converts excess proteins to carbs, kicking you out of ketosis. Otherwise, it’s a very low carb diet. I allow myself a splurge day once a month.

Before the keto diet I had gained excess weight over the years and eventually became prediabetic. About half a year into the diet I’ve lost 30 lbs and my blood sugar is within normal range.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:54 am
@InfraBlue,
I never understood the Keto diet. When you knock out carbs all you have left are fat and protein.

And when you knock out protein all you have left is fat. I know fat has more energy in it but I am not sure I want to live off just fat.

Since most of our fat and protein is derived from animals I cannot ethically switch to an all meat diet.

It seems to me that grains (carbs), vegetables, fruits, nuts, are meant to balance a diet with a wide spectrum and variety of food sources.

In this variety there is likewise a variety of DNA and RNA also.

If I can lose this weight and maintain a variety in my diet I think that will be good. Sugar and toxins seem to be my main concern.

I may try and find meat substitutes down the road, slowly and gradually I may try and switch to vegetable sourced proteins.

I am not knocking the Keto diet, It is very popular and works great for many, I am just saying I prefer to keep a good portion of grains in my diet.

I prefer to use probiotics and enzymes to help my body do the right thing with the carbs.

Probiotics and enzymes also help the body deal with sugar but not in the quantity I was consuming on binges.

If I was binging on carbs I would moderate that too.

In grammar school I was taught to respect the nutritional value of a balanced diet. I think I am still of that mind.

Thanks InfraBlue for your input here and facilitating the choice of the Keto diet for people who come here looking for good solutions to weight problems.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:14 am
Swanson Full Spectrum Cacao (Raw Cocoa) 400 Milligrams 60 Capsules (4 Pack)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RD14VNJ/ref=twister_B07SB7X43Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered these today,

I am not sure about adding caffeine to my diet. Maybe one or two pills a week.

I can have the benefits of chocolate without all of the sugar.

I am quite allergic to caffeine so I may not be able to take these.

I can drink decaffeinated coffee without any problems and there is quite a bit of caffeine still left in coffee after the decaf process.

I definitely cannot drink full strength coffee. One cup and it feel like someone is strangling me around the neck and this happens every time. The neck pain has happened hundreds of times to me before I figured out what it was that was causing it.

Chocolate has much less caffeine than coffee so maybe this might be a good thing for flavonoids and antioxidants.

Unfortunately the product does not list the milligrams of caffeine per tablet.

I would suggest only taking these early in your day and after you have already been up for a few hours.

No, I don't work for them or advertise for a living. Smile

I will definitely know the caffeine level after taking these. My body will tell me without any doubt whatsoever.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 10:11 am
@TheCobbler,
Keto diets aren't for everyone, for sure.

You don't knock out proteins or carbs, you limit them, especially the carbs, and derive most of your calories from fats.

Keto diets aren't all-meat diets. Low-carb vegetables are included in the diets.

Animals aren't the only source of fats and proteins. Wheat gluten and soybean products are plant based sources of protein that are low in carbohydrates.

The fats mostly come from plant based sources like nuts and seeds.

Avocados are a keto dieter's best friend.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 11:01 am
@InfraBlue,
I really like soybeans, nuts and avocados. Smile

I don't always feel very good after a meal loaded with certain carbs.

I am not sure how to eat wheat gluten. Never really heard much on that before.

I think non GMO whole soy is likely the best.

I am just learning this stuff.

You have brought up some great points and opened a new area of healthy food discovery for me.

Thanks InfraBlue!
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:45 pm
@TheCobbler,
Yeah, since going on a keto diet I've realized that my chronic heartburn was caused by carbs. I haven't gotten heartburn since being on the diet. Also, I used to get a bloated feeling from eating carbs that I don't get anymore. Also, I think it's easier to overeat carby food than low-carb food.

Wheat gluten is commonly sold as seitan.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2020 06:21 am
@TheCobbler,
Who knew 'sugar' causes CANCER? ?
People with an IQ of (Over 6) maybe?

Are you Real?

Amygdalin = 2 base glucosoids, 1 base cyatonin + 1 base beta carto.

Sugar baits carcinogen, traps gluco - And cyato - Dissolves.
WHY are you guys - So Fkn Stupid?

Have an interesting everything.
mark noble

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2020 06:29 am
@coluber2001,
Root veggie/pulse, beans, etc?

OUCH! Wheat farming was 'Originated' Post younger-dryas, to de-ironise (+ Copperise) Anu-designae - progeny.

Blue-blood - RH-ish dietary variants (RH, Rhesus - Derivitive).

Have a confusingly (Potential 'New Word'), educational passtime.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 05:17 am
@mark noble,
You don't have to be sarcastic or an as*hat...

It is usually people who think they know it all that are emotionally immature.

Exactly what kind of cancer does sugar cause? Since EVERYONE knows this.

Let's see how "Fkn" smart you are.

I think you were dropped on your head as a child.

Your posts are about as fluent as a 6 year old, braggy and arrogant.

I voted one of your posts up that was voted to zero, but now I see why it was voted down.

1. Forums
  2. » What's your diet?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 06:48:47