Do I need to get CPS involved?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 12:30 pm
@AmiB,
What is the thing that most frightens you?

In my state, Massachusetts, the CPS generally does a good job. There are a few sensational exceptions where the CPS messed up. But in the vast majority of cases CPS can connect you with services and will be generally helpful.

My advice (if I can give advice) is to talk to the CPS openly. Because you are 18 years old, your parents don't have control over you.

I would hope that you can find a good counselor first. I think that would make the entire process easier and make you feel less uncertain.

If you talk to CPS you will be assigned a trained social worker who will know what to ask and how to get services. I know several of these social workers... they are good caring people. The social workers often work with families... rather than taking the children away. What it could mean is that your parents and siblings will have mandated therapy (which could be a good thing).

I understand that doing this is scary. It could also lead to something better for you and your siblings.

AmiB

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 01:59 pm
@maxdancona,
What frightens me the most is that my siblings won’t get something better. And what if, say therapy was mandated, they still suffer under the circumstances until the therapy either makes a break through or it is recognized that our parents won’t change? They will have suffered for nothing.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 02:10 pm
@AmiB,
AmiB wrote:

What frightens me the most is that my siblings won’t get something better. And what if, say therapy was mandated, they still suffer under the circumstances until the therapy either makes a break through or it is recognized that our parents won’t change? They will have suffered for nothing.

But it won't change at all if you do not do anything. I think that is why you probably should speak with a trusted adult.

My only hesitation with your aunt is - how close is she with your mother? Not sure if she is a sister or sister in law. If she is a sister and they are very close, she may in a sense "side" with her sister not wanting her to get into trouble. But if she knows her well - meaning she knows your mom could be this way she may be very supportive of this. I think you would know best in this situation.

You mentioned about if a school counselor would need to report this - that leads me to believe you are thinking of someone. At the very least you might want to talk with this counselor just to get a feel. That might push you one way or the other - you could talk about having difficultly with your parents/mom without getting into the direct abuse. That could open up a conversation where you can get a feel a bit more. At least it would get you talking someone.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:16:14