What types of people are considered raccoons' "natural enemies"?

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Near our place in Delaware is a small town called MILTON. Its the Home of Dogfish Head Beers (Beers with the ABV of 19%) . In Milton center is a large lake that formes the headwaters of the Broadkill where Milton's sailing ship building industry began back in the 1700's. Today its been high dammed and is just a large lake for boating and fishing. It has a large native population of canada geese who stay the year round.

Every 5 years or so, because the geese **** up the lake and cause major algae blooms, the town "fathers" used to shoot and /or poison the geese. They get maybe 90% of the population which leaves maybe 15 who dont get whacked. They stopped poisonong them and make a yearly hunt (in the town lake) where the geese are cooked and bbcued (post mortem) .
I can understand the way that nature can overstay and overpopulate itself when left undisturbed or un hunted. Since it was a suburban area lake and hunting "safety Zones" were about 150 yards but there were lakefront houses all along the lakeshore, hunting rules needed changing. Changing often ment that, once in awhile, someones kitchen windows (Why do people have their kitchen windows overlooking lakes and other waterfeatures?), would get blasted out by number 6 iron shot. But, it happens rather infrequently so that, henever a window shot dos occure, it gets written up on the front page of the Cape Gazette, or the Delaware STate News.

Now they have a whitetail deer problem where ticks and skeeters have spread CWD (cervid wasting disease) to the resident deer. Its now been found out that animals with CWD CAN transmit a form of brain infection to humans. Its sorta like the CJD we used to get from "MAd Cows"

We live in a very sick environment that, will require evolution to step in and sort it out with the deer or we humans become immune to the diseases (or both)
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll just assume park rangers or some other kind of park officials or employees.

I was asking because I wanted to do more research on this. I'll look it up.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 08:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for your help and input.
NealNealNeal

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 08:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
Save the raccoons!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 09:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
I sometimes make light in a discussion, but where I can be of real help I try.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 01:58 am
@izzythepush,
Okay, I shudder to ask - what did Disney say about raccoons?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 03:19 am
@Sturgis,
Can you please cite any examples of any cartoon raccoons who were depicted as being daft?

When I was a kid there was a cartoon series called The Raccoons:

https://flic.kr/p/2jiyw6f

(I apologize - I have two drawing apps on my phone and I don't know to crop images with either of them. I don't know how to do that in Flickr either. Unfortunately there is no mobile app version of MS Paint.)

This was a Canadian-made series that aired on American TV.

There was only one raccoon character in the series who was daft and that's him in that pic I posted a link to. That's Bert Raccoon. If I remember right Bert was the main character.

The series was about a group of raccoons who were fighting to save their woodland home from an evil money-hungry aardvark who wanted to tear down trees to make room for condos and such.

As weird as this premise was this cartoon series was popular.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 04:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Have you not seen the live version of 101 Dalmations?

There are raccoons in the countryside.

Apart from zoos there are no raccoons over here
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 12:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
There was Rocky Raccoon.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 01:18 pm
@NealNealNeal,
You're referencing the old Beatles' song?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 01:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
He’s also a character in Guardians of the Galaxy.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 02:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
Sorry. I got Rocky the squirrel on Boowinkle (moose) show mixed up with the Beatles song. 😗
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
LIBERALS

Raccoons and liberals are both thieves and dumpster divers.

Raccoons and liberals both hate competition.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2020 03:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Can you please cite...?

Not offhand. But trust me, I was raised in the Methodist church and have seen many terrible portrayals of the raccoon.

Have you not heard of the way that the Easter bunny stole the idea of giving tasty treats to youngsters?

Yes, it's true! Before the rabbit popped up out of the hole and helped make dentists wealthy, a raccoon named Rollo was delivering healthier snacks to children for Leprechaun's Day.

Raccoons are God's pre-masked critters, adding mystery everywhere they go.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:27 pm
@Sturgis,
The raccoon Rigby on Regular Show was rather daft. He was often causing problems for his blue jay buddy Mordecai or doing stupid things to get himself in trouble.
0 Replies