DUST FROM THE SAHARA HAS ARRIVED

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 03:42 am
Thie AM, as the sun wa beginning to rise (about 5:15 AM EDT), The sky was rally ablaze in refracted dust (or some othr particuate). It was a brilliant red with orange highlights and even some pinks. It was lovely for several minutes. Now its begun to change a we go up the spectrum.
Anybody else noting some net sunrise colors?
Due to the map track of the dust clot, I imagine the farther south the more spectacular the sunrise.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 523 • Replies: 17
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 03:45 am
@farmerman,
You’re going to have to wash the car. We get Sahara dust periodically and it always leaves such a mess.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:01 am
@izzythepush,
Time ta hunt for the Power Washer somewhere in one of the barn cubicles what?. Last time I used it was last Oct at the end of the crop season. I always power wash the tractors and implements. Corona has kept veryone focused on health issues and not crop matters.

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:06 am
@farmerman,
At %:55 the light had gotten significantly brighter and the spctral colors have shifted to a bright lavendar .It will soon go to a very light blu with yellow touches on the left sides of anything thats showing refracted light. Kinda cool if youve ever done spectral analyses.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 05:48 am
@farmerman,
We’ve had sepia skies before, everything has a weird orange glow.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 07:42 am
We have been getting so much heavy rain that the dust has been ignored so far.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
The wether chnnel is in a panic about the rains in the south. You guys are doomed according to Jim Cantari (sp?)
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 11:42 am
@izzythepush,
cuttlefish ink.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 12:10 pm
It has been estimated that 400m to 700m tons of dust is transported from the Sahara every year.
We here in Europe get it with south-westerly winds in early spring, the dust then is sometimes carried as far as northern Europe and the UK. (When I was young, in the 50's/60's)the local cement plants used that period to open their filters, hoping that no-one would notices it then. The results were particularly bad.)

Sahara dust is fertilising aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, especially in
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
We were in the early stages of drought. I haven't checked to see how Houston at large has been affected. It was beneficial right here. More heavy rain is expected. If it lives up to the hype we may get major problems. My own property has never had more than 6 or 7 inches of rain standing in it in my 25 years living here.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 01:28 pm
If it hadn't been mentioned in the news lately, I would have thought that the change in our local sky was a result of NYC moving into phase 1and 2 of reopening and the emissions from more vehicular traffic on the roads again. When I look at the traffic channel it's almost back to pre-lockdown levels, including the jams.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:16 pm
@Sturgis,
anyone notiing any unique colors in sunrses or sunsets?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:44 pm
We've had vibrant sunrises and sunsets here 'cause of the wildfires in New Mexico and Arizona.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:51 am
@InfraBlue,
grey dawn today, too many clouds to enjoy any color.
The heaviest [C] is expected by this weekend and theres more coming. We are apparently in a decennial wind gyre where Europe, which usually gets the densest dust clouds will be spared?

I was getting this from Penn State weather, so , lik the forecasts, lets just wait and see to the rsults of te "battling models". It seems the EU model is more accurate of dte becaue they have used several hybrid finite element models that can use iterative mens to take in most recent data.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:30 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 08:54 am
It is overcast still, but the haziness in the air is the dust. Dangerous conditions to be outside for very long.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2020 01:30 pm
Here is the sky in Houston
https://www.click2houston.com/resizer/EQ47VBFPAzlU87nJu9hqS_i7ymg=/1080x809/smart/filters:format(jpeg):strip_exif(true):strip_icc(true):no_upscale(true):quality(65)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gmg/WCLJ4BC5XBHTRGIJB23BTQC3KU.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2020 10:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
lovely, Its also having an effect at removing threts of tropical storms for a while. The hurricane damping effect should last into JULY (It was on a Penn State weather center rport.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DUST FROM THE SAHARA HAS ARRIVED
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:20:33