Hate Speech

maxdancona

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy is from the UK. The UK is perfect example of how subjective "hate speech" can be. What constitutes acceptable speech in the UK changes every couple of decades.

In the past in merry Old England you could be punished for...

- Insulting the Queen (or King)
- Questioning the glory of the British Empire.
- Blasphemy (insulting the State Church).
- Insulting McDonalds (google the McLibel case for a fun read of how ridiculous British law can be).
- Defending homosexuality
- Criticizing homosexuality

The current laws in the UK are a mismatch of vague terms about having "knowledge useful to a terrorist" and "insulting words".

Thoughts that were completely acceptable to have and to express in the United Kingdom 25 years ago are now illegal (and will get you fined or jailed). Things that were illegal to say 25 years ago are now acceptable.

The speech laws in the United Kingdom are arbitrary, archaic and quite flaky. They will undoubtedly change again in the next few decades.
maxdancona

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:50 pm
I will will show you another reason that England's suppression of speech hurts.

Doctor Who (a popular show written and produced in England) wanted to do a show about civil rights. The show was focused on Rosa Parks (with a showing by Dr. Martin Luther King).

Why did they choose American civil rights leaders on a British show? Are there no civil rights issues in the United Kingdom? The reason, of course, it that proper, repressed British society needed the Americans to have this discussion. England still has trouble admitting that there is a problem with race there. There are many African-Americans who have noted that the racism they experience is worse in England than it is in the United States.

Black Lives Matter started in the United States and moved to England. MeToo started in the United States and moved to England. In the past century (really since suffrage) the United Kingdom has followed our lead in issue after issue.

Free speech is the reason that these issues come out in the United States while they are politely swept under the rug in the United Kingdom. It seem like time after time, England only sees an issue when it erupts in the United states first, and then they follow along as if it was their idea all along.

United States is far from perfect. We are loud, we are messy, we are offensive, we ... and we are free to express our ideas as we see fit. We argue the issues in the open where everyone can take their own position and defend it in public.

lifeismeaningless

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The speech laws in the United Kingdom are arbitrary, archaic and quite flaky.

In the UK you can be arrested for internet memes that are spicy or aren't 'politically correct', or for talking publicly about Muslim grooming gangs.

You couldn't pay me to live there. Even with as many problems as the U.S. has, at least we're not that far into lunacy.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 03:59 pm
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Napoleon is a symbol of today's progressives.

Cite your source. Oh right. You can't because it's utter nonsense. Baka.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Can I still call some people 'Jerks'? There are many highly educated people that are jerks.....it doesn't mean I hate them, I just don't want them to braid my hair.
izzythepush

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:13 pm
@maxdancona,
That’s what you’ve got Rosa Parks on Doctor Who?

You really are absurd.

You know nothing of the discussion we’re having on race over here.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Merry old England?

You sad man.

Try dealing with reality. It’s the 21st century. Deal with it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:17 pm
Jesus (Matthew 5) wrote:
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Baka,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
0 Replies

lifeismeaningless

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:24 pm
I heard you guys aren't allowed to have butter knives or else you get arrested.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Over here it’s a verb, verbiage is OK. Always has been. Tom Petty wrote a song about it.
lifeismeaningless

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Tom Petty was American. Not a brit. Stay in your own lane.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 04:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Animal Farm is a book written by George Orwell. I wasn't calling progressives "animals". 😊
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 05:06 pm
Izzy, Izzy, Izzy,
You can't use the word "imbicile" either.
jespah

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 05:09 pm
@NealNealNeal,
And you apparently can't spell it. 😁
lifeismeaningless

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 05:19 pm
@NealNealNeal,
I reported him.

Maybe the UK police will arrest him and his foul mouth.

0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 06:46 pm
@jespah,
I know.😗😙😗
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 06:50 pm
I need to understand Baka and why must so many of them be written?
There must be something halfass intelligent to splain the Baka Bomb
(those of you not familiar with WWII aviation can look that up, but thats all I know)
tsarstepan

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 09:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I need to understand Baka and why must so many of them be written?
There must be something halfass intelligent to splain the Baka Bomb
(those of you not familiar with WWII aviation can look that up, but thats all I know)

Safe to say that you didn't watch any of the accompanying YouTube compilation videos of dozens and dozens of anime characters just dropping the baka bomb (your turn of phrase)?

You really don't need much context other than that. But here you go.

Quote:
Baka (馬鹿, ばか in hiragana, or バカ in katakana) means "fool; idiot", or (as an adjectival noun) "foolish" and is the most frequently used pejorative term in the Japanese language.

Baka defined

I did not know that a baka bomb was an actual thing. Thanks for the historical introduction.
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 23 Jun, 2020 10:26 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
Therefore, when you verbally attack someone by calling him an idiot or moron you are really insulting people who have low intelligence. People, including liberals in the 20th century realized that
However, liberals we're far more reasonable than the "progressives" of today. They often spoke of educating the ignorant members of various groups.
People of low intelligence should have their dignity respected However, they have little political power. They are demeaned by progressives, who are quite willing to consider certain people as less than human.

1. I am sure you already know that Donald Trump is the King of Hate speech.

2. Donald Trump has verbally said and/or tweeted more hateful and insulting things about more people more times than anyone.

3. Donald Trump is simply a hateful person who just can't help himself.

4. This includes the last 3 1/2 years, as well as many years and decades ago.

5, When it comes to hate speech, no one comes close to the hateful things Donald Trump says or tweets virtually everyday,

6. Donald Trump just can't help himself.

7. He is such a horrible, despicable, divisive, and hateful individual.

8. No one worth their soul cannot possibly not already know that Donald Trump is a very hateful person,

9. Donald Trump is also a habitual pathological liar.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hate Speech
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:42:14