COVID Exposure Log Secretly Added to iPhones?

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 01:48 pm
I just heard that iPhones had downloaded a potential app with the most recent upgrades. So I opened my phone - choose settings, privacy, health and viola a COVID-19 Exposure Logging App.

Are you going to use it? Do you think it would be helpful? Or is it too much Big Brotherish?

Anyone else find this a bit creepy?

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/20/covid-19-exposure-notification-settings-begin-to-go-live-for-ios-users-with-new-update/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGL6LBeIvk9eMQE-3_uTRujiVwgaAsPEiDltLHaRRegWInGkPkUN5APWuC3siOQaQ0_wBRv5NujBQcojBmkCs_hlTsnYj-jQF_3OjEymvSKbgWSQHggutZBVpA1B-EGre7XlUnybe0J6clgixAV7q5zQhMaJBzNTwWheXeNitqoJ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 407 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 02:41 pm
@Linkat,
Wall Street Journal emails me these little leaders in hopes I will resubscribe. It's brief, but does look a little Big Brotherish
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 03:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wall Street Journal emails me these little leaders in hopes I will resubscribe. It's brief, but does look a little Big Brotherish

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/AFN4FRhY4wmCXu0NqA74CKr3vjg

That's not how links work. You cannot link directly to your email box which (I pray) is behind a password and closed to the public.

These apps are opt-in. They don't track you unless you give them permission.

Linkat: Did you miss this REALLY important sentence from the article you posted in your OP?
Quote:
From there, you can select the Health submenu and find the COVID-19 Exposure Logging setting, which will be off be default.

Wildly speculating about tech subjects sans actual understanding of the tech is almost as bad as intentionally spreading conspiracy theories about said tech.

The problem is whether they can trace these exposures given how often GPS can throw a person several blocks away from where it claims that person is in a given time. False positives can be just as bad as false negatives.

Dropping this here (from the same TechCrunch article) so people cannot speculate the worst. Big Brother doesn't give his victims a chance to opt in or out. That's what makes that kind of authoritarianism a dystopia.
Quote:
Once you do, you can return here to toggle notifications off, and also manually delete your device’s exposure log should you choose to opt out.

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 03:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Linkat: Did you miss this REALLY important sentence from the article
you posted in your OP?

No I did not miss that, nor did I miss that it says Off when you look at it on your phone.

Thus why I asked:
Quote:
Are you going to use it? Do you think it would be helpful? Or is it too much Big Brotherish?

If you did not have the option to choose I would not ask the question - are you going to use it? As that would not be pertinent - you wouldn't have that choice.

tsarstepan: Did REALLY miss this important question I asked?

My reference to big brotherish - is anything where you can be tracked along with others - seems creepy and big brotherish even if you have the option - it is like they are recommending it. Feels icky to me.

And to not really announce something like this as being an option - even though you need to turn it on - you would Apple/google would have let you know of this fabulous new app if they were adding in this option. Rather than just have it added and you find out via news weeks later.

I know at work they are talking about us coming back into the office - one way they plan on tracking number of people where is to give us a tracking device so they know where we are at all times - they had to revise this in that you would get the device once you entered the building and return it upon leaving- it would not track you out of the office.

Still a bit squeamish about being tracked - I understand the premise at work, but I also know at this point it is a work in progress.

I guess I simply like my freedom.

roger

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 04:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Didn't know that, but probably a good thing. I don't guess I'll bother to copy.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 04:50 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

If you did not have the option to choose I would not ask the question - are you going to use it?

I don't have an iPhone and I hate all things Apple. So, for now? No. If Google brings a well-vetted and bug-free version to Android? I will consider using it. Considering it will likely be glitchy and make false-positive readings like saying you possibly made a contact when it doesn't understand that walls exist in real space and if (hypothetical) a person was 1 foot away from you but there was an office wall in the way? That's not exposure even if the GPS of both phones says to the contrary.

It's a good idea in theory but I don't think they can pull it off in practice. But in no way is this sinister or malicious or big brothery.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:07 pm
@Linkat,
I don't particularly like the tracing thing which is being done. He danged if I'd install an app to keep watching me.
Besides, the tracking of all our moves is already too over the top creepy. Invasive. Sickening.

Similar to tsar, I detest Apple products. Never had one.

I did touch a iPhone once.
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Google is supposed to also have this ... have you checked your settings
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 06:42 pm
@Sturgis,
I agrec with you in regard to Apple ... I just got this phone for work so free is better than buying
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 07:54 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Google is supposed to also have this ... have you checked your settings

Just looked it up. I'll wait to see what my preferred YouTube tech review channels think of this and if it's effective.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 11:28 am
Google does already have it under settings>Google. It uses Bluetooth and location settings and IS way too big brotherish to be on.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » COVID Exposure Log Secretly Added to iPhones?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:31:21