Inheritance in Washington state

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 05:53 pm
My parents live in Washington state and my sibling had moved back in with them and it looks like this sibling may never move out. My parents are getting older and they've set up their legal paperwork so that each child would receive an equal amount upon their deaths. However, with my sibling now living with our parents and potentially still living there when our parents both die, I'm afraid that my sibling may then try to claim more of the estate/inheritance than our parents are intending for that sibling to receive. What needs to be done to make certain that my sibling does not receive more than our parents intend?

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:09 pm
@yoruzora,
Is your sibling taking care of your aging parents, or are they committed to doing so?

If so, then sit this one out and let them have the extra. Care giving is not cheap and it is exhausting.

If not, then consider -- seriously consider -- how important this money is to you, and to your sibling (who, by the sounds of it, doesn't have a home of their own). If they need it more then here's a wild idea -- be the bigger person and let them have the money.
yoruzora

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:39 pm
@jespah,
This sibling does very little to help our parents, mostly just staying in the bedroom watching tv. Additionally, upon or parents' deaths, the amount each sibling receives, with it being divided evenly would still be a considerable amount, so this sibling would sill definitely have something to work with to get back on their feet. Lastly, I have my own financial situation and my children to care for, while my sibling has no children. So, with the current situation, this sibling shouldn't have anymore than an equal split with all the siblings. Our parents' intention is only for each sibling to receive an equal amount. It's not for one sibling to possibly take advantage of the situation after our parents' deaths. I simply want to make certain that their will is what shall happen.
0 Replies

yoruzora

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:43 pm
@jespah,
So I need to know what Washington state inheritance laws would do in this situation to ensure my parents' intentions are followed upon their deaths and what additional preparation may need to be done prior to their deaths.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:59 pm
@yoruzora,
Who Will be the executor of the will? Family attorney? One of the siblings? That person sees that the wishes of your parents are carried out., according to the will.

It sounds like you are concerned that this certain sibling will lay claim to the house. Unless that is specifically stated in the will, the house will become one of the assets to be shared by all the designated beneficiaries.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 03:21 pm
@yoruzora,
yoruzora wrote:

So I need to know what Washington state inheritance laws would do in this situation to ensure my parents' intentions are followed upon their deaths and what additional preparation may need to be done prior to their deaths.

You need a trusts and estates attorney and not waste time on a forum where ...
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.

... is in the Terms of Service for the site.

Do not try to cut corners. If you really need legal advice, then you need to consult an attorney who is legally allowed to work in Washington state.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you Mr.Tsar for reminding us of the info. If I had not been struck down by extreme laziness, I might have done so yesterday when my eyes first saw the OP.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Inheritance in Washington state
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:02:52