Am I the only person who thought "Epic Sax Guy" was an actual music act from the '80s?

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 05:30 am
Hi. I'm just a little curious about this. I've discovered this guy online:

and I actually thought I was watching a live concert performance from the '80s when I saw this video. "Epic Sax Guy" gives off a lot of '80s vibes.

I thought if this was an actual music act from the '80s then how did I miss it, and if it's from the '80s how did it fall into obscurity?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,408 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Had never heard of this before.

Regarding your other query on how you could miss something, the answer is simple. There are billions of musical things out there. Nobody can get to see and hear them all.

On query 2 and falling to obscurity, it happens again and again and yet again. Without continued work, without good PR, an act can disappear almost overnight. If the act comes along during or right before a major news cycle (such as Covid-19 or George Floyd murder and subsequent protests), it is buried quicker than a sneeze.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:57 pm
@Sturgis,
U
Sturgis wrote:

Had never heard of this before.

Regarding your other query on how you could miss something, the answer is simple. There are billions of musical things out there.

I don’t think missing epic sax guy is as much an issue as him missing news headline.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 02:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, as you know, his radio doesn't work and he has no television. Of course that's now. I don't know how long this has been an issue for him

Then too, perhaps itt never even got a headline. Not even on Fox "News".
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:20 pm
@Sturgis,
Long before the Covid-19 outbreak transpired and before we had this pandemic, I watched TV and listened to the radio like a normal person. That old hi-fi system I had was in my family for years, and it finally conked out. I last used it a couple of years back. It was working at the time.

I didn't really use it though. I've listened to internet radio and radio on TV.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 07:29 pm
@Sturgis,
In the '80s I was doing normal kids' stuff- watching cartoons, playing video games, playing with toys, etc.

I used to be a big nerd/geek as a kid. I spent a lot of time studying dictionaries, thesauruses, encyclopedias and other reference materials. I also liked doing complex math for fun.

I also liked drawing and writing.

I wasn't really into music that much. I listened to music on the radio and on tapes, records and CDs, and music-related stuff on VHS tapes. I did watch music videos on MTV and VH1 and elsewhere on TV.

There used to be an African American music video show on public access TV called Video Music Box that I used to watch.

Here's an example of a music video they aired on that show:

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 08:00 pm
@Sturgis,
I did some research on "Epic Sax Guy" and he's not a music act from the '80s:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Stepanov_(musician)

This man is only 35. He certainly had me fooled.

If he was as old as he was performing his sax solo in the video I posted back in the '80s he'd be at least 60-something now.
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 08:56 am
@JGoldman10,
With all the online media, Youtube, and various twitter, tik tok and stuff that like - you can get all sorts of entertainment that will appeal to almost anyone.

It appears that this epic sax guy is one of these. Probably not in mainstream music entertainment but could still have a following online.

My daughter has been following this sister band since she was a young teen. They are youtube stars and have gotten at least one award from I think it is whatever that teen choice awards.

It is great because whenever they have a concert and travel - she can see them up close and even meet and greets and VIP stuff is still significantly less than these mega stars. This group has a dedicated following so even though they are not megastars - they have people following them where ever they go. The band loves the personal touch with their fans. I have been to some of the shows as I brought her when she was younger. I do love how they personally reach out and spend a few minutes with each fan during their meet and greets. It is a nice change from the mega concerts at stadiums.

It probably is not the type of music for you - then tend to attract teen or young adult girls. But they are Christian although their music is not Christian music (they have a couple of songs that tend towards that way) - it is more uplifting positive messages for girls. It is a group of sisters and their name is Cimorelli.

But you can see how these "smaller" types music groups and entertainment can have an impact and a following whereas prior to internet media - it would be much more difficult.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:30 am
@Linkat,
"Epic Sax Guy" apparently is a fan of retro music, and there are a number of artists producing retro music these days. There are a lot of music acts from the '80s and '90s I don't know about and wouldn't have learned about and discovered if the Internet didn't exist.

For example, I didn't know there was an '80s band called Flock of Seagulls. I learned about them when I saw, read and heard that the X-Men's Wolverine's hairstyle was being compared to the hairstyle of one of the band members.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:38 am
@Linkat,
I asked someone I know if she knew who "Epic Sax Guy" was and if she liked his sax playing and she thought I was talking about the sax player from the movie The Lost Boys.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:46 am
@Linkat,
The only concerts I've ever been to growing up were Christian ones and they were held at local churches.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 04:21 am
Is retro music in general very popular these days, or does it have a niche following?

Childish Gambino's "Redbone" has a very '70s-retro vibe to it.

Charlie Puth is a musician who produces 1920's-style electroswing:

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 06:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Based on what is on the radio show American Top 40 and Spotify's US Top 50 charts, retro music in general is not widely popular.

There are songs that are influenced by older music, such as "Blinding Light" by The Weeknd being influenced by 80s synth. But most songs are modern pop.

Also, that is not Charlie Puth's style of music. Most of his songs sound more like this

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Every online source I can find says that "Betty Boop" song is Puth's.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm not saying Puth didn't record the song.

I meant that he only recorded one electroswing song, which was "Betty Boop". Otherwise, he only records pop and R&B.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 09:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 09:47 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know too much about current pop music, especially music from young up-and-coming artists.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 09:49 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Do you know anything about '80s and '90s house music?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:53 am
@JGoldman10,
I haven't particularly paid attention to the genre. I prefer other types of music.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 04:23 am
@JGoldman10,
I've just watched the video, it's clearly Eurovision.

He was Moldova's entry, no wonder it looks 1980s.

If you like that sort of stuff you should check Eurovision out.
0 Replies