Two ways to understand the pandemic

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2020 10:56 am
In the Beginning.... the message was "Flatten the curve". We had lines and graphs and a cool simulation that showed the same thing. The strategy was not to keep people from getting the virus... it was to keep the number of people who had the virus at any give time blow the number of hospital beds.

Now the message has changed (sort of, because there isn't really a clear message). People seem to think that by wearing masks and keeping distance they can't avoid getting the virus completely.

It seems obvious to me that we are all at risk of getting the virus. It is also clear that the vast majority of us who get the virus will be just fine with maybe an uncomfortable week or two of sickness.

It also seems obvious that if there are more seriously sick people than hospital beds.. that this is a very bad thing. This should be avoided. But, in my state (Massachusetts) this is not currently a risk.

The frustrating thing about this pandemic is that there is no clear message. Some people are living in a continual state of panic. Others are in some state of being willing to take risks.

I set up a video chat date this week... my date told me she was sick of videochat and wants to meet in person. And so, tomorrow I am having a coffee date. Whether or not this is a stupid thing to do is subjective....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 318 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 10:35 am
It's not stupid because it's important enough to justify the risk.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...setting up a date...

Now, is this with your anatomically correct doll which you spent your tax refund on or a living breathing individual?

As to the changing messages, that is to be expected as the picture is constantly changing. There are going to be more changes too. Some may be hit with revived restrictions if hospitalizations start inching up again.

Welcome to life.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Oops. I think you logged into the wrong account, Izzy. You don't normally get this childish with your Sturgis account.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:25 pm
I think the changing messages are due to a severe failure in national leadership.

I agree that if hospitalizations trend up, we will be looking at further lockdowns. My state has a system of four phases with the understanding that we can step backwards if necessary. I think it is a pretty good system.

If they are managing hospital beds, the whole thing makes sense.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Two ways to understand the pandemic
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:19:22