Used car suggestion?

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 07:08 am
Looking for a used car for my daughters to share. We are thinking of something like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. Purpose of the car - in the next year - to drive locally to summer jobs and then in the fall to drive locally to school, practices and games. Then in a year and a half or so - for my older daughter to have a car when she goes off into the "real" world.

So basically we want a reliable and safe car with little maintenance that will last at least another 5 years. We are thinking of something about 2014 or 2015 with maybe about 60-70k miles. Hoping to spend no more than $12k with the idea that the girls put down $1k and we put down $1k and they finance the difference.

Once my older daughter graduates and is working she will take on all the payments while the younger one will be in college and not need use of a car.

Any thoughts on similar quality cars? We have owned Accords and Camrys and have had success on long lives - 200K or so with not too much expensive maintenance. Anyone have other thoughts on types of cars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 332 • Replies: 12
No top replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 07:39 am
@Linkat,
I bought a 2005 PT Cruiser for the kids to share for $3500. Both are in college, one to graduate next year & one in 2-3 years. It's not a "cool" car. It's basic, minimal radio functions (no usb ports) and a/c. Good engine, brand new tires. It goes and it stops.

And if they complain, they walk.

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:40 am
@neptuneblue,
Yeah - I don't want something that old. Went through that and had to scrap the car.

We are looking more longer term for my daughter once she graduates colleges and needs to commute to work. She will be taking over the payments at that time. It is one thing if you are using it simply for them to cruise around locally another when they need it a year from now to commute to a job. Thought it made more sense than to have her buy her own car a year from now when she is just starting out - thought a small monthly payment would be easier for her to handle.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:46 am
@Linkat,
I would up your mileage target. A six year car with 100K miles or more would be fine given the reliability of modern cars. Last year I got my teen daughter a 2013 Toyoda RAV4 with 130K for $6500, completely happy, runs great. You pay a big premium for low mileage.
Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I would up your mileage target. A six year car with 100K miles or more would be fine given the reliability of modern cars. Last year I got my teen daughter a 2013 Toyoda RAV4 with 130K for $6500, completely happy, runs great. You pay a big premium for low mileage.

Does the RAV4 cost more in insurance do you know? I was looking at that car - my husband thought with 4wheel drive it would be more expensive.

Do you know the life span of this car? Would it last another 5 years with that mileage?

We found one corolla with 2014 65k - locally here listed about 10k at a dealer just down the street - one owner. If the 3.5k difference gives us several more years it would be worth it. Sounded like a good deal - going to reach out to our insurance to see how much it would cost to insure.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 09:15 am
@Linkat,
My experience with teens and cars (and I have lots) is that they only put 5k/year on it at most. That's held true even with the cars that go off to college. In five years, your high mileage car will be normal or low mileage. Also, cars with high mileage are often cars that have lot of highway miles on them with are a lot more friendly than city miles.

My insurance on my daughter's RAV4 is pretty much in line with what I pay on her brother's CRV. Your insurance company will can tell you the differences if you give them the cars you are looking at.
Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 09:30 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My experience with teens and cars (and I have lots) is that they only put 5k/year on it at most. That's held true even with the cars that go off to college. In five years, your high mileage car will be normal or low mileage. Also, cars with high mileage are often cars that have lot of highway miles on them with are a lot more friendly than city miles.

My insurance on my daughter's RAV4 is pretty much in line with what I pay on her brother's CRV. Your insurance company will can tell you the differences if you give them the cars you are looking at.

It will only be a year that it is used by a teen - next year it will be used by a young adult in the work world. We are looking longer term. Be different if it was the start of the college career, but it is the end.

We are looking for a car short term for what you suggest (one year) - high school/college use; for longer term use after a year - it would be for someone outside of college.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:02 am
Have you tried CarGurus.com? Put in your preferences and see what you can find. If you shop long enough and far enough you will find what you want. I found my last car on Facebook trading thing.
Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 10:35 am
@McGentrix,
We used carfax to do a search.

Just wanted to reach out more to see what models of cars would be a good thought.

The one we saw locally I see on carfax and cargurus - the one thing on cargurus you cannot see who is selling (except if they have a pix with the name of the dealer in the background).

What I liked about the car we found locally was the dealer had in the high 4.x out of 5 on pretty much any ratings that people gave.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 11:10 am
@Linkat,
I've had my corolla for a little over two years. It seems very reliable, with the only issue being difficult to get into and out of it. That may not be a problem for a pair of young girls.

I do wonder about them being expected to share it. I can see a bit of contention arising, but maybe not with your kids.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 11:22 am
@McGentrix,
Craigslist is also a good place for local sales. Often a private seller will underprice a car to move it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 11:36 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I've had my corolla for a little over two years. It seems very reliable, with the only issue being difficult to get into and out of it. That may not be a problem for a pair of young girls.

I do wonder about them being expected to share it. I can see a bit of contention arising, but maybe not with your kids.

It would only be the sharing during the summer. Mid August my older daughter would be back in college and the younger would have it whenever the older is at school.

Next year younger would be in college so only need a car when home.
0 Replies

Positiveplus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 01:04 pm
@Linkat,
Hello! My past experiences say that used cars are not bad and can be a very good thing, especially if you don't want to drive that much.
Now I have a Golf and I have to say that it's a very good car, I would recommend it to you. Useful and what you need.
Some of my friends took a used car and have also good experiences, but I preferred to use it one or two days and then decided to take it, no regrets!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Used car suggestion?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/10/2024 at 12:25:10